ACEN DJ Competition 2k7

#1 User is offline   In Silico 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 4720

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:48 AM

Hey guys, hope you had a nice recuperation after the ACEN 06 madness! :P

So I direct this question at Beryl/Allen/Jon/Chris/Khek/Greg - are you planning on doing another competition this year? If so, are the deals the same - start submitting mixes after about the first of the year or so?

Last year was a blast, and this year I'd be more than happy to help out with anything - bringing equipment, setting up, webspace for mixes or videos, whatever...:sweatdrop

Also, I have a finally-edited video of the entire DJ panel and some really insane Soap Bubble footage that I want to send you guys. What is the address for MAPS so I can send y'all a DVD? :D

Peace!

-Rob A / In Silico
~~へ へ~~
\__/\___/

#2 User is offline   In Silico 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:20 AM

Bump.....

with a nice big ?

Beryl, Allen, save me from myself!

-Rob / IS
~~へ へ~~
\__/\___/

#3 User is offline   djtw33k 

• Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 8055

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:09 AM

Hello, I'm DJ Tw33k...and I'm very curious about this event...

Let me introduce myself. I'm one of the resident DJ's at AX, I've DJ'd at AX04, 05, and 06. ALong with ALA and PMX. ALong with having to play at cons, i've also DJ'd at popular clubs in the Southern California Area (along with living in california) from Hollywood, Los Angeles, and Orange county. Along with DJ'ing I've also own a production company for 4 years now. SO far I've acquired fans from the California area all the way to the east coast in the Florida, Michigan, and New York area. Though unfortunatly DJ'ing isn't my day job(Kinda ironic XD ).

I've also made the AX dance flourish with oncoming attendees every year after starting with last year setting a record of having the dance floor attendance reaching the 3,000 mark(was informed by the dance director/manager of AX...not my quote) and exceeding the attendance count this year. The unfortunate event for having so much people have actually resulted with injuries from dancers!?

I currently play imported trance and house but have an entourage of DJ's who plays HipHop and other genre's.

Please let me know what I should do to get involved. Also prior to this year's AX, I was "called out" (not really liking that term) so it really caught my interest. Thank you for your time.

#4 User is offline   In Silico 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 26 September 2006 - 10:54 AM

I would recommend checking out http://www.acen.org/...ead.php?t=11590 for a basic idea of what goes down for the comp. Last year was a blast, I can't wait to do it again this year, if they let us :sweatdrop

-Rob / IS
~~へ へ~~
\__/\___/

#5 User is offline   FrenziedFury 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 2401

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:14 PM

Here's the deal on the ACen 2K7 DJ competition:

Beryl Turner (GrammatonCleric here on the forums and our convention chairman) is interested in fostering a spirit of friendly competition. As such, he envisioned a mega DJ competition this year. He wanted the resident DJ's from the 4 largest anime cons in the country (Anime Expo, Otakon, A-Kon, and ourselves) to come to our 10th anniversary hoedown and spin their absolute best in a battle of the anime con DJ's. He'll have more info on it than I do since it was his idea. I can certainly point him towards this thread and let him know.
ACen never dies! It just goes to the forums! Hilarity ensues!
I came here to kick butt and chew bubblegum and my feet are killing me!

Jayson D. Clarkson
Registration DH - Anime Central 2006 - 2007
Masquerade Judge - Anime Central 2006 - 2009
Green Room ADH - Anime Central 2009
Registration Grievance Thread
Registration FAQ
Click here for registration hours, prices, procedures, etc.

#6 User is offline   djtw33k 

• Pip

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:00 PM

FrenziedFury said:

Here's the deal on the ACen 2K7 DJ competition:

Beryl Turner (GrammatonCleric here on the forums and our convention chairman) is interested in fostering a spirit of friendly competition.  As such, he envisioned a mega DJ competition this year.  He wanted the resident DJ's from the 4 largest anime cons in the country (Anime Expo, Otakon, A-Kon, and ourselves) to come to our 10th anniversary hoedown and spin their absolute best in a battle of the anime con DJ's.  He'll have more info on it than I do since it was his idea.  I can certainly point him towards this thread and let him know.

THis is what I was refering to, which sounds very interesting and fun. But there are some small details I can't really see. I mean I know this would be an incredible event...but...persay...4 of the "best" and "biggest" cons DJ's...does that refer to 4 DJ's...or the actual entire dance department? Because I can tell you that as far a resident DJ's at AX...there's me(Anything electronica including house, trance...etc) and Miko(hip hop, top 40, J-pop etc...). I'd envision this to be a pretty pack'd DJ'ful event. And also the term "battle"...with different DJ's carrying different genres, won't that cause some conflict...you can't really battle hip hop against trance, and the fans usually don't go both ways so easily, and as for battle, would that refer to turntablism(for hip hop) where 2 DJ's go all out in melting the wax with zip and wah's?

I just really curious on how this'll work. But I would really like to help out on making this into a huge event.

also...the email I received prior to AX was worded a little differently...a little more direct and in your face...which I find...strange.
Been Tw33k'd?

then check out www.myspace.com/djtw33k

#7 User is offline   Harrison Bergeron 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 666

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:26 PM

Seeing as I Frenzied Fury has passed me the mic, so to speak, I'll take over from here.

Yeah it was a call-out.

Yeah, I said it. :)

That was a result of not enough sleep, far too much alcohol and hype!

More importantly, it was meant to be taken as some good-natured trash-talking and I hope that it was taken as such.

But don't get me wrong, I am not backing down. We can talk the talk and walk the walk! But before I continue, a little background.

Anyway, this came from a discussion between 2006 con chairman, Jon Sugerman, my fellow party promoter, Allen Castillo, former IRT DH Chris King, ACen headliner DJ Khek, and I during the finals of our DJ competition last year.

We knew that other cons threw dances, and a few of them were on the scale of the Soap Bubble. In past years, we have brought in top shelf talent to come and spin our con. DJs from both coasts and in between have come to the Soap Bubble and thrown down for the SoapHeadz!

However, what sets us apart from the rest of the jocks that came in was the fact that we were all on staff and had been for more than a few years. But to continue, with the success of the DJ contest, it came to us that we had been seeking an multi-convention spirit building competition and what would be better than DJing?

Anyway, to address your post directly, I see this as simply a way for us con DJs to get together and wreck some shyt! And battling is always fun regardless, eh?

Anyway, we can work out the details as we go along.

So, DJW33K, with you representing AX, are you guys gonna get down or what?
"Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur... goes a Latin proverb. The world wants to be deceived...So let it be deceived."
"If someone stands in the way of true justice, you simply walk up behind them and stab them in the heart."
Henri Ducard (Ras Al Ghul)- Batman Begins
"It is pleasant at times to play the madman..."
Seneca- Roman Dramatist, Philosopher, & Politician
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence."
Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)
Nothing is true. All is permissible."
Hassan I Sabbah- Lord and leader of the Assassins Cult

#8 User is offline   In Silico 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:09 PM

Tanoshiiii!

My man Beryl with the insanity-provoking DJ all-around Con smackdown!

I think this would be mega fun! Plus, we can kick butt with ACEN's best, because we all know in our hearts we're the biggest, we're the baddest, and we don't take no crap from nobody :P After all, we've got Greg "Likes Tequila Too Much" Ayers on our side...:sweatdrop

So now that I've sufficiently inflated the Con's image/ego, where do us normal-guy DJs stand for this?

Is Wayne Brady gonna hafta choke a chibi? :confused:

-Rob / IS

PS: I have

Midwest Animation Promotion Society
1400 W. Devon Ave, Ste 410
Chicago, IL 60660-1312
as MAPS address, is this right? I wanna send you guys the damn disc! :P
~~へ へ~~
\__/\___/

#9 User is offline   djtw33k 

• Pip

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:28 PM

GrammatonCleric said:

Seeing as I Frenzied Fury has passed me the mic, so to speak, I'll take over from here.

Yeah it was a call-out.

Yeah, I said it. :)

That was a result of not enough sleep, far too much alcohol and hype!  

More importantly, it was meant to be taken as some good-natured trash-talking and I hope that it was taken as such.

But don't get me wrong, I am not backing down. We can talk the talk and walk the walk! But before I continue, a little background.

Anyway, this came from a discussion between 2006 con chairman, Jon Sugerman, my fellow party promoter, Allen Castillo, former IRT DH Chris King, ACen headliner DJ Khek, and I during the finals of our DJ competition last year.

We knew that other cons threw dances, and a few of them were on the scale of the Soap Bubble. In past years, we have brought in top shelf talent to come and spin our con. DJs from both coasts and in between have come to the Soap Bubble and thrown down for the SoapHeadz!

However, what sets us apart from the rest of the jocks that came in was the fact that we were all on staff and had been for more than a few years. But to continue, with the success of the DJ contest, it came to us that we had been seeking an multi-convention spirit building competition and what would be better than DJing?

Anyway, to address your post directly, I see this as simply a way for us con DJs to get together and wreck some shyt! And battling is always fun regardless, eh?

Anyway, we can work out the details as we go along.

So, DJW33K, with you representing AX, are you guys gonna get down or what?

lol...well it looks like it's on then...

I was trying to be modest but I guess in this case...spin-on
I'll sure to bring in a very very competitive game...since I've spun with the likes of the best DJ's in the world along with Armin Van Buuren, Markus Schultz, etc. The only DJ who scares me with his skills(in electronica music) is only 1 person...that's James Zabiela. Though I have spun at places blindfolded and unfortuatly created lots of ...bad vibes with the other DJ's...

But I will acknowledge your call out.
Been Tw33k'd?

#10 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 1441

Posted 15 October 2006 - 01:28 AM

well it looks like were gonna see who really has the best DJ's and throws the best party.

we've been throwin the hardest party so far for the past 7 years with some of the best talent chicago has to offer. our attendance numbers from the dance always exceed 2500 or more and the crowd stays till we stop playing music. that usually is when the sun comes up.

so bring your "A" game guys we most definitely will have ours.

beryl and i will be workin out the details of the contest so stay tuned to find out what we have in store for everyone.
Allen Castillo

#11 User is offline   lildaisuke 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 8337

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:44 PM

this idea justy sounds awsome, but i have to say one thing.. maybe not this coming year, but why limit your challenge to the US? after all there are sick dj's all over the world, not to mention aime fans, and conventions...

*snaps back from his dream of global dj battle at ACEN 07'*

wow that dream rocked...

haha hope you pull this off, limited to us or not.. it's gonna be sick ^_^b

#12 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:05 PM

lildaisuke said:

this idea justy sounds awsome, but i have to say one thing.. maybe not this coming year, but why limit your challenge to the US? after all there are sick dj's all over the world, not to mention aime fans, and conventions...  

wow that dream rocked...  

the only reason were focusing on US conventions is cuz it has never been done before. this will be something new for the whole of the US convention scene.

we wanna make this a yearly event with all the major conventions and some of the smaller one's as well if they so choose to accept our challenge.
Allen Castillo

#13 User is offline   djtw33k 

• Pip

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:23 PM

lildaisuke said:

wow that dream rocked...  

Well I have competed against DJ's from Europe...but that was a few years ago...

Oh...checking back here...is there any updated info about this dance?...or who do I need to contact specifically?
Been Tw33k'd?

#14 User is offline   DJFLuFFKiNS 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 745

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:16 PM

You need to contact Will English (I'll leave it to him to post his business email address)
Sam Chen - Email me

ACen 2011 - Vice Chair
ACen 2008 - 2010 - Guest Relations - Assistant Section Chief (Industry Liaison in 2009, Programming Liaison in 2008)
ACen 2005 - 2007 - Panel Programming - Department Head (ADH in 2005)
ACen 2002 - 2005 - Live Programming - Staff

Follow me on Twitter: djfluffkins

#15 User is offline   In Silico 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:23 AM

w00t! Anime DJ Smackdown!

...I'll bring the popcorn :D

PS: Khek - I got served a while ago (PM)...you just got served (PM)...so now, I guess.....it's on! Hit me back (PM)

-Rob / IS
~~へ へ~~
\__/\___/

#16 User is offline   djtw33k 

• Pip

Posted 10 November 2006 - 02:26 PM

Keep me updated on this event. I'd love to throw it down.
Been Tw33k'd?

#17 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:08 PM

djtw33k said:

Well I have competed against DJ's from Europe...but that was a few years ago...

Oh...checking back here...is there any updated info about this dance?...or who do I need to contact specifically?

you can contact me or beryl turner aka grammaton cleric. i'm allen castillo i'm one of the promoters of this party. what we have right now at this point or what i want to do at least is have the preliminary competition at our car show in the dealers room on friday and on saturday this will give everyone a chance to hear all the dj's spin. i think what were gonna do is either have a ballot box out by the car show and everyone can vote for there favorite dj or will just do audience applause that saturday after the dealers room closes.

but yeah once we get more info i'll let you know. if you have any question don't hesitate to email me or beryl.
Allen Castillo

#18 User is offline   djtw33k 

• Pip

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:38 PM

saiyajinimport said:

you can contact me or beryl turner aka grammaton cleric.  i'm allen castillo i'm one of the promoters of this party.  what we have right now at this point or what i want to do at least is have the preliminary competition at our car show in the dealers room on friday and on saturday this will give everyone a chance to hear all the dj's spin.  i think what were gonna do is either have a ballot box out by the car show and everyone can vote for there favorite dj or will just do audience applause that saturday after the dealers room closes.  

but yeah once we get more info i'll let you know.  if you have any question don't hesitate to email me or beryl.

I'm actually more curious about the "Call out" by FrenziedFury and GrammatonCleric.

Seeing that I'm the AX and PMX DJ. What are the plans of bringing the the biggest con DJ's together.
Been Tw33k'd?

#19 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2006 - 07:35 PM

djtw33k said:

I'm actually more curious about the "Call out" by FrenziedFury and GrammatonCleric.

Seeing that I'm the AX and PMX DJ.  What are the plans of bringing the the biggest con DJ's together.

the plan is really to see who has the best DJ's. as of right now you as the AX/PMX DJ are the only one to answer our challenge to see who has the best DJ's. hopefully soon other big cons will be answering our challenge as well.
Allen Castillo

#20 User is offline   Nameloc 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 7110

Posted 18 November 2006 - 10:17 AM

are we still going to have some of the contest winners from last year dj, because i would love to throw down some tracks :)

#21 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2006 - 09:38 PM

Nameloc said:

are we still going to have some of the contest winners from last year dj, because i would love to throw down some tracks :)

yeah i would like to have you guys spin more then likely during the car show friday, saturday and sunday.
Allen Castillo

#22 User is offline   paxus 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 8621

Posted 26 November 2006 - 02:43 PM

Sounds kewl, i'll definetly have to watch out for this.
I deejay at a few cons myself, although probably not
the biggest of the cons I do quite a few.

-&rew

#23 User is offline   In Silico 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:22 PM

w00+! I shall come prepared, and hopefully get a chance to play somethin' fun :D

This year I would be bringing a LOT more of my good tunes, since I was a little wary of using CDs last year. This year the all-around Anime Smackdown will commence...:sweatdrop hope y'all like j-pop and anime theme remixes :P

(not to mention the minor late-summer flooding that ruined a good deal of my vinyl... :( )
~~へ へ~~
\__/\___/

#24 User is offline   DJ_Maiku 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 57

Posted 06 December 2006 - 05:37 PM

What's going on in terms of equipment. Would it be possible to have stand-alone CD decks this year as opposed to a dual unit. I'd be willing to bring my numark axis-9s, but the feel of single decks are definately a big part in my rhythm.

If I'm able to make acen this year I'll definately be on for the competition.
See me in Artist Alley! akicafe.deviantart.com - metallia.etsy.com - awesomebuttons.com
DJ Maiku @ DjMaiku.com

#25 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:24 PM

DJ_Maiku said:

What's going on in terms of equipment. Would it be possible to have stand-alone CD decks this year as opposed to a dual unit. I'd be willing to bring my numark axis-9s, but the feel of single decks are definately a big part in my rhythm.

If I'm able to make acen this year I'll definately be on for the competition.

we'll have really good equipment.
Allen Castillo

#26 User is offline   BigFireDnb 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 8987

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:39 AM

So does this mean you wont take any new comers?? I was on staff Acen 00- 01 i think i cant remeber the date it was a while back! I challenge you guys to let in new comers vs the vets!!!

http://www.mixupload.com/index.php?act=mli...song&s_id=12081
Track list:

Eddy Woo - Tsunami
Gigantor - Hook Echo
State Of Mind - Afterlife
Skc - Alpha Centari
Muffler - Outerspace
Agent Alvin - Circuit Breaker
Noisia - Ommisions
SunChase - It
Breakage - Untitled Jungle
Amit - Ill Hunt You
Desimal - Fallen Man
Skc And Bratwa -Nothing But The Pain (Brooks Bros. Remix)
PsiDream - ???
Bcee And Lomax - Help You
State of Mind - Memories
Current Value - Psi Investigation
Agent Alvin - On The Run
Santorin - Supernatural
Duo Infernale - Another Dimention
Baron - At The Drive In VIP
Logistics - Falling For You
TC - Flatline
Chase And Status - The Druids
Future Prophecies - Black Mamba
Gridlock - Fifth Dimention
Dkay And Sonic - Future Creep
K Tee - Hypnotize
Howard Jones - For You See Me (John B Remix)
TeeBee - Dont Lie To Me
Robot Death Squad - Therapy (Sunchase Remix)
SKC - Dream Come True

#27 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:07 PM

BigFireDnb said:

So does this mean you wont take any new comers?? I was on staff Acen 00- 01 i think i cant remeber the date it was a while back!  I challenge you guys to let in new comers vs the vets!!!

wait i'm confused here you Spun at ACEN 00 and 01 cuz if you did i don't have a clue who you are.

also this competition isn't about new vs old. this is about who has the best DJ's ACEN or the other big cons.

also you have to earn your way into spinning at con i don't let in just anyone .
Allen Castillo

#28 User is offline   BigFireDnb 

• Pip

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:27 AM

ok sorry i guess i misunderstood. I worked Security during acen 00 - 01

i believe 01 there was a dance masqureade with some dance music.
but i herd last year abou tthe dj compo and the buddy that i had said he was workin on getting me in.......... Alas i never really heard abou tit again.

Ive attended all the cons since then but not been on staff. Like i said ive herd about the compo for the last 2 years just cant seem to get lucky....

Thnx for the reply.

BF

#29 User is offline   BigFireDnb 

• Pip

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:30 AM

I guess more or less i just wanted to put up a hearty comp :)

Give every one a run for the books. Im no new comer dj. Ive been spinning for 5 years and have played bigger clubs then the acen cons. Mosty just wanted to showe every one a good time. No hard feelins.

#30 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:45 PM

BigFireDnb said:

I guess more or less i just wanted to put up a hearty comp :)

Give every one a run for the books. Im no new comer dj. Ive been spinning for 5 years and have played bigger clubs then the acen cons.  Mosty just wanted to showe every one a good time.  No hard feelins.

hey i wasn't tryin to be a **** or anything i'm just tellin you whats up. i get a ton of guys every year who wanna spin at acen who send me demo's and its hard to let new people in when the DJ's i have right now are just too good in my opinion. if we do, do another competition for new people to have a spot then you'll have your chance to spin at acen.
Allen Castillo

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users