Anime Central Forums: Neuroconnectivity & Social Implications - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Neuroconnectivity & Social Implications

#1 User is offline   Isildur 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 2496

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:57 AM

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/21/technology...dex.htm?cnn=yes

To begin, I'd like to ask all posters to please ignore the obvious hyperbole in that article. We're still decades away from the kind of connectivity they're dreaming of.

The question: In a world where the ability existed to link one's mind directly to a WAN, would you do so?

My response is a most definite no.

I'm a programmer; I was using computers before the www existed, back when measuring your connection to the net in baud was a good thing. Left alone to steer a conversation, I can lose people in a sentence trying to explain what I do for a living.

But as much as I use computers, and understand computers, I do not trust computers. My relationship with them has always been probational and always will be; if tomorrow I was given good cause to walk away from the keyboard, I would.

Neuroconnectivity concerns me for three reasons:
1) Because it takes something that was previously a convenience and makes it into a service. More then a service, even. Like the social security number or the credit rating... something that has the potential to dramatically alter a person's standing and role in society.

2) Because it weakens the definition of privacy of thought. Previously, the mind was the only bastion for personal privacy for which there was no way to transgress the rights of the individual. A person's actions in public can be watched, their home searched with a warrant, but in the end even torture cannot reliably force a person to divulge something they have a reason to keep to themselves.

3) Because it is being advanced by people who have no financial compulsion to do good. The technology is being advanced for profit, with (I believe) the initial hopes of profits on the hardware and eventually profits on the market it creates.

#2 User is offline   GiveUpTheGhost 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3441

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:09 AM

Heck no I wouldn't link up. Someone could haxor My brain and make me a sad man :(
My barren plan to be a better man
Rots in abandoned fields
These idle hands inherit spoiled lands
As the hungry become the pigs
We reap (and) we sow
We mourn who we were
Love what we lost

#3 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:45 AM

I've dealt too many times with balky computers to actually hook my brain to one. However, it might have interesting implications to those with handicaps.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Boomer!"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#4 User is offline   Malarky 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6826

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:09 AM

sentinel28a said:

I've dealt too many times with balky computers to actually hook my brain to one.  However, it might have interesting implications to those with handicaps.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Boomer!"

Yeah, that'd have to be a BIG NO for me.

I feel that like all prolific advances in science, it can be a double-edge sword.
while the aultristic application would be a great boon for those in need, and the ease it could bring to our life is exciting. There is the dirty fact of our nature, that some people will use this advance to cause harm.

While I do agree with the research, I don't belive I would be in line to test such a thing out. Nor would I support the commerical application of it. Which unfortunately, is an envitablity. Any bankroller is more concerned the return on there investment, then in the aceivement itself.

Plus, as stated earlier, this tech will represent a change in way we would view the privacy of our thoughts.

Here's a question :
If you could use this tech to detect whether our not a psychopath had all the mental triggers need to kill, be he could actual commit a murder. Even though this is a severe intrusion into the privacy of an innocent person. Before he does kill (and he will), should you use it?
The Disgrace of the Irish Race

"We Irish are banking very heavily on the fact
that God has a sense of humor!"

Lurker Extrodiare!
Member of the Shy Otaku Syndicate
Founding Member of the Rowdy Otaku Syndicate

#5 User is offline   Kyuu 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 348

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:32 AM

The question: In a world where the ability existed to link one's mind directly to a WAN, would you do so?
It'd be nice to be alive even after our biological bodies fail.:D

I feel that like all prolific advances in science, it can be a double-edge sword.
while the aultristic application would be a great boon for those in need, and the ease it could bring to our life is exciting. There is the dirty fact of our nature, that some people will use this advance to cause harm.

True. That's been the case with every single invention known to man -- and a complete brain-to-machine interface will be no different. However, with every exploit, man will find a way to plug those up. That's what Law is for.

2) Because it weakens the definition of privacy of thought. Previously, the mind was the only bastion for personal privacy for which there was no way to transgress the rights of the individual. A person's actions in public can be watched, their home searched with a warrant, but in the end even torture cannot reliably force a person to divulge something they have a reason to keep to themselves.

In a case like that -- greater emphasis on security will be made. With the advent of Wifi allowing the Internet to be available in the air -- some security measures are implemented for Wifi to limit usage to allowed users.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. -- Ferris Bueller

Anime Currently Watching

#6 User is offline   Malarky 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6826

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:41 AM

[QUOTE=Kyuu]
True. That's been the case with every single invention known to man -- and a complete brain-to-machine interface will be no different. However, with every exploit, man will find a way to plug those up. That's what Law is for.

QUOTE]

For every rat-trap, they build a bigger rat.

I find Law to be a very fleeting concept, laws are bent, restructured, and broken on a daily basis. When dealing with something as precious as a mind I would chose to err on the side of caution.
The Disgrace of the Irish Race

"We Irish are banking very heavily on the fact
that God has a sense of humor!"

Lurker Extrodiare!
Member of the Shy Otaku Syndicate
Founding Member of the Rowdy Otaku Syndicate

#7 User is offline   GiveUpTheGhost 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3441

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:31 PM

Malarky said:

Here's a question :
If you could use this  tech to detect whether our not a psychopath had all the mental triggers need to kill, be he could actual commit a murder. Even though this is a severe intrusion into the privacy of an innocent person. Before he does kill (and he will), should you use it?

Ever see Minority report? Not the same ordeal just the same premise.
My barren plan to be a better man
Rots in abandoned fields
These idle hands inherit spoiled lands
As the hungry become the pigs
We reap (and) we sow
We mourn who we were
Love what we lost

#8 User is offline   JNOtaku 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 913

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:54 PM

GiveUpTheGhost said:

Ever see Minority report? Not the same ordeal just the same premise.

I was about to mention that also!

Anyways, I would definitely not hook up a computer to my brain. As much as I enjoy the internet, I wouldn't want someone hacking into my brain or disturbing my privacy of thought. (In the book/film "1984" (by George Orwell), the characters had the privacy of thought, even though a totalitarian government controlled all other aspects of a person's life. A totalitarian government is bad enough, so I don't want my mind to be controlled, either! :eek: :eek: :eek: )

JNOtaku
"Why don't you all fade away
And don't try to dig what we all say
I'm not trying to cause a big sensation
I'm just talkin' 'bout my generation" (The Who)
The Otaku Generation: Predicted 30 years earlier! Fight OTAKING!

A soldier of the Glomp Team! Member of the Shy Otaku Syndicate, and the ACEN Yakuza! :D My Webpage! My Myspace! My MAL profile!
Forum Daimyo as of 7/21/2005!!! :) Forum Elite (1337) as of 7/19/2006! :D :D :D

#9 User is offline   kahad 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 532

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:22 PM

Hook my brain up to a computer???

No thanks. I don't trust computers. I would be too worried about what would happen if the computer crashed while my mind was connected to it.
K-chan (nickname given by ngsilver)
Are YOU on my grilling list??? (Updated 9-26-2008)
Master Chef of the Great Otaku Army and Spam Squad member!!!
AMV Staff ACen 2005-2007, Panel Programming Staff ACen 2008-2012 :)
Maho! - not just a saying, a way of life.

#10 User is offline   Isildur 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 2496

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:57 AM

There's one book I like to point people towards on this topic...

Archangel Protocol by Lyda Morehouse. It's a tiny random paperback that's sort of... 1984 from a 2000 perspective.

What happens is that in the mid 20X0's, the tech for connecting minds on an intellectual level exists and is fairly well understood. But connections that convey emotion and feeling are still elusive.

A research hospital quietly discovers the technology and was going to use it for patients with severe emotional trauma. But it's stolen. A year later, a large scale 'hack' is made USING that technology, where avatars in the form of angels appear, using the new emotion-signaling technology.

The 'coming' is praised as a miracle and the 'net is evangelicalized. Everyone who had been connected at the time is absolutely convinced they saw a true miracle from beyond because they felt the emotions associated with the beings they saw. Religion becomes more important then citizenship and excommunication means disconnection.

Enter the main character. An excommunicated federal detective who had been working the emotion-tech case when the 'coming' happened. They were assigned, in the ensuing chaos of religious furvor, as guards for the pope during a parade, when her partner was hacked using a new technique and instructed to kill the pointif, which he did. He was arrested, she was investigated and excommunicated for being even associated with him.

Turn the clock ahead a few years.

Now, it's the presidential election. In america, religion has become politics and the wining party is the one who makes the opponent look like a bigger sinner. And this year is no different. But now the angels reappear, and they're backing one side.

It's an interesting read anyway. The Israelis are like Public Security Section 9 in Ghost in the Shell (thermoptic camo); they refused the message as false because it was inconsistant with their faith, and since then they've been at war with pretty much everyone. The Unitarians have become the modern underground railroad for vocal opponents of the religion of the net. Scientists have become second-class citizens, living in enclaves away from the religiously inclined, applying themselves to studies the mainstream finds 'sinful'.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users