Chicago Olympics 2016?

#1 User is offline   Oreo_Otaku 

• Registration
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 2339
  • Location:inside your mind... I'm a figment of your imagination

Posted 20 July 2006 - 12:09 PM

Though the plans been on the news for about over a week ago. What do you think of having the Summer Olympics in Chicago if it wins the US bid, then wins the international bid to host? And what do you think of the chances of winning?

Me, I fully support having a Chicago games. It would be cool though traffic would be a nightmare so I would take public transportation. I think that if Chicago modifies it's current ceremony's plans (two stadiums idea) it stands a good chance of getting the nod though it has tough competition against San Francisco.
[center]How's my driving? Flip FOB Driver Pro: Oreo_Otaku. Comments? CALL: 111-555-9999
If you can read this you get a pat on the back.
I drank GOD and it is good!!!
Part of POWA*PinoyOneWorldAlliance*
ninja>pirates!
Acen Hamburglar

#2 User is offline   Kasemei 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 5705

Posted 20 July 2006 - 12:19 PM

I should be going to the 2008 beijing olympics but this would be SOOOOOOOOOO COOL!!!
Floating around the forums every so often.

Cosplays for 2011: Ciel Phantomhive Ballgown from Kuroshitsuji, Toph Bei Fong Fire Nation Disguise from Avatar: The Last Airbender, Revolutionary Girl Utena Schoolgirl outfit, and Meiling Hong from the Touhou Project.

#3 User is offline   KissMeBeautiful 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 4980

Posted 20 July 2006 - 12:27 PM

That'd b pretty cool. Though it would make travelling a nightmare
"It's my Acen and I'll glomp if I want to!" ;)

"Playstation: Better than boys!" :p

#4 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:13 AM

Just as long as it doesn't fall on the same time as ACen, that would be pretty kewl. I missed going to Calgary in '88 and Salt Lake City in '02, both of which aren't that far away from where I live. I mean to get to an Olympics before I die, dammit!

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Of course, I'll be 44 in 2016 and rich and famous"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#5 User is offline   JNOtaku 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 913

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:11 PM

Actually, the Olympics shouldn't occur during ACEN. Since 1972, the Summer Olympics have started anywhere from mid-July to mid-September. Therefore, even if ACEN is pushed forward to June (which is pretty unlikely), the Summer Olympics shouldn't interfere at all with ACEN.

Also, it would be cool if they are in Chicago. I'm glad that they are being financed without taxpayer money, since it will be very expensive, and since some people in Chicago aren't interested in a Summer Olympics here.

JNOtaku
"Why don't you all fade away
And don't try to dig what we all say
I'm not trying to cause a big sensation
I'm just talkin' 'bout my generation" (The Who)
The Otaku Generation: Predicted 30 years earlier! Fight OTAKING!

A soldier of the Glomp Team! Member of the Shy Otaku Syndicate, and the ACEN Yakuza! :D My Webpage! My Myspace! My MAL profile!
Forum Daimyo as of 7/21/2005!!! :) Forum Elite (1337) as of 7/19/2006! :D :D :D

#6 User is offline   astro girl 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 5188

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:29 PM

It'd be super neat!
Beijing is building up and being cleaned up so much for the Olympics there, it'd be great to see what would be done to Chicago.
spaceship/eljay/music

intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings.
[dali]

#7 User is offline   Oreo_Otaku 

• Registration
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 2339
  • Location:inside your mind... I'm a figment of your imagination

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:04 AM

Well, good news!!! Chicago is one step closer to getting the olympics. Now it's 3 US cities going for it instead of the original 5. First it will have to go against San Fran and L.A. then the world!!!!
[center]How's my driving? Flip FOB Driver Pro: Oreo_Otaku. Comments? CALL: 111-555-9999
If you can read this you get a pat on the back.
I drank GOD and it is good!!!
Part of POWA*PinoyOneWorldAlliance*
ninja>pirates!
Acen Hamburglar

#8 User is offline   Matt 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 1225

Posted 30 July 2006 - 02:37 PM

I'm not quite sure whether or not the Olympics would work in Chicago. The city's big enough to accommodate the crowds of people that will be pouring in, and the United Center and the lakefront (and perhaps the UIC Pavilion?) will be able to accommodate many of the athletic events, but I'm at a loss as to where the city will find room for another stadium, as well as the money. I'm also not sure whether or not we really need the tourist dollars, since I think Chicago attracts many national and international tourists, but I guess the Office of Tourism would know better about that. Also, I've read elsewhere that some people think that the baseball season will conflict with the Olympics, and I think that's a valid point, especially since there are two teams here (whereas most cities only have one). Okay, so many people might skip baseball games in favor of the Olympics (seeing as the Cubs are inconsistent), but many others won't. Still, mostly Chicagoans will be going to the MLB games, and most people will be coming in out of town. So, it will probably balance out. As to whether or not I'd go, it depends on whether or not I'll still be here, since that is ten years away and I'm thinking about moving to New York City if I can't find a good job with an entertainment magazine here (which is likely).
:heart: <span style='color:Magenta'>Proud Secretary of the Plushy Guardian Alliance</span> :heart:

:heart: <span style='color:Blue'>Soldier in The Glomp Team </span> :heart:

<span style='color:DarkSlateBlue'>Member of the Anime Central Association for the Advancement of Bunnykind</span>

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users