• This topic is locked

Why Post on Boards?

#1 User is offline   Isildur 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 2496

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:12 AM

Over the last five years or so I've frequented many discussion boards and abandoned nearly as many. And I've found that there's one constant on every board I visit:

A lot of people love to talk and hate to listen.

I think of all the "What costume are you making" or "What are you doing" threads and I just wonder what the whole point of it all is.

Inevitably, the thread will consist of perhaps a dozen (perhaps several dozen) responses from people who chime in to the tune of the theme, but to what end? Why respond? Nobody reads those threads, there's no comentary... you post your reply and that's it.

The same is true even on the WoW forums, where people will post a hundred or more threads a day asking "Rate my mage build" when about three quarters of them all independently came up with the same 0/31/20 arcanist build, and feels "oh so proud" that they were able to put 2 and 2 together and somehow believe they're the first ones to see the light.

I just... I don't get it. It's obvious, at least to me, that these sorts of posts are pointless... they just don't lend themselves to serious evaluation. I mean, are people genuinely believing that they'll get some response back like "ZOMG that's my favorite character thanks for choosing that character"? I mean, get with reality people. There's a billion people on the internet and I assure you that half of them are better then you are at whatever it is you're doing, and that the vast majority of all of them aren't particularly interested in what you have to say anyway.

I get the impression that almost everyone is fighting to be an internet celebrity by doing exactly what everyone else is doing. And I just don't get it.

Anyone else?

#2 User is offline   GiveUpTheGhost 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3441

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:39 AM

May I ask a rhetorical question?

Why did you post this thread if it could possibly be one of those non-read threads you spoke of? People post things merely to entertain themselves in my opinion. So those few responses are what you were aiming for in the first place. Such as this response to your thread. I surely got sick of all the "who was the cutest, can I get pictures of, Who liked me, Who was the guy in the cloud outfit" right after acen. Yet, they are what the person who posted the thread wants answers to. So if one of those few viewers has the answer to their question. 500 responses and popularity is not needed because it was answered and they were entertained.

Plus, I love them because they kill time at work =D
My barren plan to be a better man
Rots in abandoned fields
These idle hands inherit spoiled lands
As the hungry become the pigs
We reap (and) we sow
We mourn who we were
Love what we lost

#3 User is offline   Isildur 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:01 PM

GiveUpTheGhost said:

May I ask a rhetorical question?

Why did you post this thread if it could possibly be one of those non-read threads you spoke of? People post things merely to entertain themselves in my opinion. So those few responses are what you were aiming for in the first place. Such as this response to your thread. I surely got sick of all the "who was the cutest, can I get pictures of, Who liked me, Who was the guy in the cloud outfit" right after acen. Yet, they are what the person who posted the thread wants answers to. So if one of those few viewers has the answer to their question. 500 responses and popularity is not needed because it was answered and they were entertained.

Plus, I love them because they kill time at work =D

The 2nd and 4th of your example post questions were valid, good topics. Asking pictures or about a cosplayer's identity are valid topics that have a purpose and a definable resolution. There is a question posed to be answered and a defined criteria for when the purpose of the post has been fulfilled.

It's the popularity questions that nag at me. What possible resolution could there be for a question asking for a subjective response?

I used to post in every "what are you going to cosplay" thread, for example. But over time I realized that, well, nobody ****ing cares what I do, just as I don't care too much about anyone else does unless what they're doing is somehow related to what I'm doing.

I just disapprove of "list" type threads where people just answer the question with their $.02 and then disappear.

#4 User is offline   GiveUpTheGhost 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:38 PM

the "i am going to cosplay tifa, what are you cosplying." threads? The ones where they seem like they care what you are posting and then never even respond to their own thread? Yeah those are rather worthless. WHen i make idiot threads like those i at least try and keep them alive. SO that means i am almost always the last poster.
Rots in abandoned fields
We reap (and) we sow
We mourn who we were
Love what we lost

#5 User is offline   Isildur 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:49 PM

GiveUpTheGhost said:

the "i am going to cosplay tifa, what are you cosplying." threads? The ones where they seem like they care what you are posting and then never even respond to their own thread? Yeah those are rather worthless. WHen i make idiot threads like those i at least try and keep them alive. SO that means i am almost always the last poster.

Yeah. Now you're on the right track.

I mean, why do people do that? Is is that they need someone behind them with a nailbat saying "No. Bad Idea, don't post."? I mean, seriously. What are people expecting when they create threads like that?

That's not a rhetorical question. I really want to hear from any of you: if you've ever created a thread like that, what were you expecting to come of it? Did you expect that it would go anywhere else but straight to the bottom of the thread list?

#6 User is offline   GiveUpTheGhost 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:58 PM

I know they are going to fail as soon As I make them. Yet I still like to see the three or four responses to them. Also they are not really the typical questions either. The threads that really annoy me though are the "hottest anime guy/girl." For some reason I can never bring myself to click on those because they are the lowest of the low to me =D.
Rots in abandoned fields
We reap (and) we sow
We mourn who we were
Love what we lost

#7 User is offline   kawaii_kitty 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 4038

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:45 PM

Does every thread have to have a "point" and lend itself to "serious evaluation"? If so, then what is the purpose of any of the threads under insanity? I for one post and read posts mainly to amuse myself or relax. I really don't care if half a billion people on the internet don't care what I have to say. Because even if half a billion people don't care, one person might. For example, let's say I post that I am making a lolita costume in a "what costume are you making" thread. People also interested in lolita may respondwith photoshoot times for a lolita photoshoot. Or I may just spark a conversation with someone else interested in the lolita style. And even if noone responds to my post, who cares? What have I lost?
Member of the Shy Otaku Syndicate
General of the Rowdy Otaku Squad and holder of our mascot!
^_^
About me.

^Old signature is old.

#8 User is offline   Ayanami 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 1746

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:54 PM

People want to be heard. That's it. People have opinions, and as unimportant or trivial as the topic may be, people will say what they want to say because they know other people will read it.

And why do you have beef with this anyway? It's no skin off your back if you choose not to read "list" threads.

#9 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 1495

Posted 13 July 2006 - 05:38 PM

You know Islidur, this is a thread. We can put up whatever we want anytime. So is my meetup thread pointless? Is the announcement of someone's bday or death pointless? And I personally dont like your thread on reporting my friend give up the ghost. He is a really cool guy and you really dont know him. And if you dont like the threads here why come here? If you dont like it dont post at all. Last time I recall this is a CHIT CHAT thread. A thread where we can talk about anything thats fun, crazy or silly. Its all about having fun.

So to answer your question as to why, its BECAUSE WE CAN and as long as its not hurting anyone we will continue to post whatever we feel like talking about.
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:
MST3k Mike Nelson & Crow-Friday
Team Fortress 2 Medic-Saturday

#10 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2006 - 05:57 PM

Isildur said:

I really want to hear from any of you: if you've ever created a thread like that, what were you expecting to come of it?  Did you expect that it would go anywhere else but straight to the bottom of the thread list?

I dont care if i get a response or not, its there for everyone. Im not forcing a gun to their head and say "POST IN MY THREAD DARNIT" its just there for them to look. Just like what were doing in your thread. We are looking at it and we are posting in it? Are you happy now? Tthis thing about "internet celebrity" is so ridiculous. Before you judge someone i suggest you think about what you say because there are people here on this thread that have been here for a long time such as I becasue I joined 3-4 years ago so yeah Im gonna have a huge number. Does that make me a celebrity. I come to these threads to have fun. Is that so wrong = (
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:

#11 User is offline   aquaticus 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 2868

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:27 PM

I come to these forums as a source of entertainment. I'm not out to gain popularity, I try not to post "meaningless" or "list" threads, but if I make a few friends by sharing some of my interests and making comments in said threads, what of it? as excel said, people do what they want because they can, and if nobody gets hurt, or if people choose not to read it because there are 10,000 other posts exactly like it, what difference does it make? there's a lot on here I don't read because I just don't care, but I don't judge people and say "oh, they're not worth getting to know because they post stupid junk"

I've been a member of a few message boards, and this is the only one I read on a consistent basis. the others either got shut down or I left because too many people were bringing in too much drama and it got even more pointless than the "list" threads

and that's all I have to say about that...for now ^.^

READ! and be ENTERTAINED!
My Jiggly Butt is Beautiful!

#12 User is offline   Lenne 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 425

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:14 PM

Why post on forums?

Why not?

I'll admit I don't post here very often but it's not a very large or active forum. I post on several other boards, one of which is very large and very active. And yeah, there's a lot of stupid junk posted, but there's also a lot of good quality threads, discussions, and debates that occur, and of course people just chattering about what they'd like to and being social.

It's fun. You can meet people. I've met many people online who've come to be good friends of mine, who I have met offline. You can find others who like stuff you do. You can find out about things you might not know about. Etc. There's many reasons. Not many valid ones to really NOT, though.
♥ Alana ♥
Table Top Gaming ADH ACen 2008 - 2010
Table Top Gaming Staff ACen 2006 - 2007
No one has invaded my sig yet. Mwahahahaa >P

....Then along came SongstressLenne ♥ Alkaren stopped in too ♥

#13 User is offline   Kasemei 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 5705

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:23 PM

quite frankly, if you don't like what forums are, don't make yourself a member. I used to think forums were used just to gain information (and sometimes not even that). When I came across the ACEN forums, trying to find some information that wasn't listed on the main site, I saw the insanity forum and got quite a few laughs out of it. I also got a bunch of cosplay tips and learned more about how a con works (ACEN 2006 being my second con). Some threads will branch off occasionally, but if it goes in the wrong direction for too long, then it kind of gets stupid and moderators will shut it down. whenever I'm sad or pissed or stressed or anything like that and I can't leave the house for whatever reason, I'll get online and just start reading some of the insanity threads. Usually after a thread or two, I'm fine again. I've made a bunch of friends through the forums, and I met my boyfriend on here too.

In conclusion, some forums may be pointless because people bring other things not intended for the thread into it, but most forums can be used for getting to know more people, finding a relationship (like the ACEN hookup thread WOOT), getting much needed help, or getting a kick when you're down. Just because you don't like forums or can't figure the meaning behind it out doesn't mean you tell everyone else you don't like it. You leave.
Floating around the forums every so often.

Cosplays for 2011: Ciel Phantomhive Ballgown from Kuroshitsuji, Toph Bei Fong Fire Nation Disguise from Avatar: The Last Airbender, Revolutionary Girl Utena Schoolgirl outfit, and Meiling Hong from the Touhou Project.

#14 User is offline   Creative Name 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 4734

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:42 PM

Isildur said:

A lot of people love to talk and hate to listen.

Yeah, I get that feeling, too, sometimes.

Although, I'm not a fan of long posts. And its kinda hard to catch up on topics that have been going on for pages before you see them.

I'll still post.
Won't you please save the panda

#15 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:27 AM

GiveUpTheGhost said:

I know they are going to fail as soon As I make them. Yet I still like to see the three or four responses to them. Also they are not really the typical questions either. The threads that really annoy me though are the "hottest anime guy/girl." For some reason I can never bring myself to click on those because they are the lowest of the low to me =D.

Well, that explains why my "Rate the Sexiest 2-D Anime Chick" thread disappeared so quick. :sweatdrop

I like to post on the ACen boards precisely because they are so open to anything. No other forum I belong to has anything like the "Do Something to the Next Poster" or "Last Poster Wins" threads. While I do enjoy the serious threads very much (I'm glad that my "Has Anime Hit a Wall" thread has engendered a lot of responses), I like to do something dumb every now and then. It helps me let off some steam and gives me a good laugh...something I've been in short supply of lately.

When I want to discuss more serious topics and engage in knock-em-out flame wars, I'll go to the other forums. When I want to let my hair down, so to speak, I come here.

As for becoming an "internet celebrity," that would be pretty tough to do via a forum. You'd need a blog for that. However, to be recognized among your peers/friends/net buddies is a pretty kewl thing. I know I enjoy it. Is it petty reinforcement of ego? Maybe, but it's also nice to run into someone at ACen, see their nametag, and say, "Hey, I know you! You're that Carnage Black guy from the boards!" or whatever. If you're not active, no one's going to recognize you.

If someone wants to get a serious topic going on politics (heaven help us) or just on Japanese politics influence on anime, I'm all for that. If someone wants to start a virtual beer war, I'm all over that too.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
*throws can of Carling's Black Label at GUTG*
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#16 User is offline   eyeball kid 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 4793

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:30 AM

Why would somebody join a message board and start posting argumentative threads ridiculing the other members of that community? Then when they're not welcome anymore, why would they move on to another message board and do the same thing over and over again?

The only kinds of threads I really dislike are the ones made by hateful forum trolls who only seek to stir up trouble and criticize people. In those cases, all you have to do is ignore those threads, and instead go post in another thread that has something positive or fun to offer. Soon enough the crappy troll threads will be driven down to the bottom of the list and ignored, like they should be.

BTW Isildur, I'm wearing my elven mithril silver chainmail which provides +5 protection against attacks by trolls.

#17 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:53 AM

eyeball kid said:

Why would somebody join a message board and start posting argumentative threads ridiculing the other members of that community? Then when they're not welcome anymore, why would they move on to another message board and do the same thing over and over again?  

The only kinds of threads I really dislike are the ones made by hateful forum trolls who only seek to stir up trouble and criticize people. In those cases, all you have to do is ignore those threads, and instead go post in another thread that has something positive or fun to offer. Soon enough the crappy troll threads will be driven down to the bottom of the list and ignored, like they should be.

BTW Isildur, I'm wearing my elven mithril silver chainmail which provides +5 protection against attacks by trolls.

Right on Eyeball! Best post ever!

Hypocrasy at its finest!
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:

#18 User is offline   Isildur 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:13 AM

eyeball kid said:

I'm not sure if you're missing my point or just ignoring it.

My point was that, well, I think a lot of people need to have a reality check and figure out that they're one voice among millions and that quite frankly just about everything has been said before. I assure you that for the vast majority of threads, 1 minute of effort would reveal another thread about the same topic.

And I think that it's wrong that people don't invest that time and actually figure that out and not duplicate themselves.

Frost Nova -> Cone of Cold -> (PoM) Frostbolt (Crit hit) -> Cold Snap -> Frost Nova -> Cone of Cold -> (Clearcasting) Arcane Missiles -> Fireblast -> Spam Arcane Explosion

You died.

Wise man say: Gnomes can troll boards, but they are not trolls themselves. Kill Horde.

#19 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:35 AM

Isildur said:

I'm not sure if you're missing my point or just ignoring it.

My point was that, well, I think a lot of people need to have a reality check and figure out that they're one voice among millions and that quite frankly just about everything has been said before.  I assure you that for the vast majority of threads, 1 minute of effort would reveal another thread about the same topic.

And I think that it's wrong that people don't invest that time and actually figure that out and not duplicate themselves.  

Frost Nova -> Cone of Cold ->  (PoM) Frostbolt (Crit hit) -> Cold Snap -> Frost Nova -> Cone of Cold -> (Clearcasting) Arcane Missiles -> Fireblast -> Spam Arcane Explosion

You died.

Wise man say: Gnomes can troll boards, but they are not trolls themselves.  Kill Horde.

Reality check. Its people like you who come here and totally launch an assult on people just to get your point across. And insulting people for posting what they feel is downright wrong. And we do get you post. Its they way you presented it that we have a problem with. By making a quick judgement on assuming thats all we do is come here and post nonsense is far from the truth. Im at work and im on break. I come to look at the posts to see whats happeneing and what got my interests. So what does that make me to you in your eyes? I will continue to post what I feel anytime and anywhere. And if i dont get a response thats fine. Im not looking for popularity like you think we are doing. Choose your thoughts carefully before insulting or judging others.
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:

#20 User is offline   Kasemei 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 5705

Posted 14 July 2006 - 04:39 PM

excel excel and eyeball kid, I 100% agree with both of you, and to eyeball kid, that was an excellent post.

and to Isildur
following what excel excel said, it is extremely wrong to to judge a person on what they believe in. Sure we have some stupid people spamming the threads once in a while, but that doesn't mean that everyone is making stupid and nonsense posts. if people didn't voice their opinions we'd all just be a crowd of clones each doing the exact same thing because no one would say anything to change it. all it takes is for one person to say something, and that can just branch out to others. it takes one person to say, this is right, and others may choose to follow. Just because we may be one in a million, does NOT mean that we do not have any power at all. power can come through communication, and that is when one force unites and stands. this being said, I believe that you should apologize for insulting the rest of us who like to have our opinions known. Thank you.
Floating around the forums every so often.

Cosplays for 2011: Ciel Phantomhive Ballgown from Kuroshitsuji, Toph Bei Fong Fire Nation Disguise from Avatar: The Last Airbender, Revolutionary Girl Utena Schoolgirl outfit, and Meiling Hong from the Touhou Project.

#21 User is offline   muchokatanas 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 4352

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:51 PM

Boy oh Boy.... everybody is getting there blood pressure up that's not healthy. This is going to be a long post. gurg ...oh well.

To Isildur,
I can see everybody's point of view but unfortunately Isildur I think that you have to recognize that you have an error in your point of view. People come here to relax and make friends. In order to do that you have to throw your ideas out for that to happen. Nobody wants to work hard to find a thread that matches their thoughts expecially when there is a possibility it doesn't exist. If they started to do that it wouldn't be relaxing. What you may consider frivolous may be important to someone else. I recognize this whenever I post or make a thread. I can only hope I can hear what other people think and possibly make a good friend (even though that hasn't happened yet). In short, what you find stupid or a waste of time is probably important and/or amusing to someone else. Whatever a person's reason for posting is it is their reason not for you to guess or make assumptions why.

To everyone else who feels Isildur is wrong,
Yes, it stinks that someone is complaing about what people put up. He is posting what seems like stupid complaint.To him it seemed important and he wanted to know if there was someone of like mind. Just like other members who post fun things. Nobody should get to upset over this thread. He wasn't calling anyone out in particular and was not calling the community anything bad. We have to recognize that along with the fact he said that he had a feeling. I think it is uncalled for to tell him to leave for complaining or telling him to apologize. We have to recognize his complaints without giving a direct tongue lashing.

But what the heck I am only one guy. Not the brightest bulb in the bunch either. Probably missed everybody's point and wasted somebody elses time. If that is the case then I am sorry.
Lazy people don't suffer from Lazziness. They enjoy every moment of it! :D

Just something to look at if curious. http://www.myspace.com/treadsilently

#22 User is offline   Matt 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 1225

Posted 30 July 2006 - 03:41 PM

I can see Isuldur's point about useless posting, but think that it only applies to certain threads (like the popularity threads he mentioned, which I suppose are a bit trivial). In general, I think that most people post for fun, to meet new friends, to keep tabs on forum member activities (i.e. moves, deaths, injuries, busy times) and sometimes to engage in meaningful discussions. I haven't posted here much lately, mostly because I haven't had time and partly because I haven't found any interesting threads to post to; for example, I've begun to lose interest in some of the older "fun" threads like "What are you listening to right now" and "I like the poster above because ..." because I've posted in them so often and don't like repeating myself too often. But I've made some friends here and will probably continue to do so, either on the forums or at meetups.
:heart: <span style='color:Magenta'>Proud Secretary of the Plushy Guardian Alliance</span> :heart:

:heart: <span style='color:Blue'>Soldier in The Glomp Team </span> :heart:

<span style='color:DarkSlateBlue'>Member of the Anime Central Association for the Advancement of Bunnykind</span>

#23 User is offline   Peterjlyons 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 7634

Posted 30 July 2006 - 04:11 PM

Those are all good points, I too get annoyed by malicious posts,
and ignoring them is the best tactic, cos those guys usually want a responce
and go about it the wrong way, sometimes it is funny to send one back though! and then leave! that pisses them off!!

Decent long posts are the best, but I find it more fun sending small ones
when I'm tired or busy.

whew! I need a coffee............
Member of W.T.F Australia

-"I think some thinkige is required"-

#24 User is offline   Peterjlyons 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 7634

Posted 30 July 2006 - 04:18 PM

aaah that's better.........oops.:D