• This topic is locked

Avi2DVD

#1 User is offline   One_Armed_Domon 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 331

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:35 PM

Well, I've got a large number of AMV's and other random video files on my computer, and I wanted to make a DVD of them so I could watch them on my DVD player as opposed to my computer. So I downloaded Avi2DVD which I've heard is a good program, but whenever I hit the "Go!" button, I get a "AVIMux_GUI.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
Then it obviously doesn't make a file or anything.
The log is as such

[7:15:33 PM] AVI2DVD Started !
[7:15:34 PM] Type mode : Avi Input
[7:15:34 PM] Output : Dvd
[7:15:34 PM] Encoder Selected : QuEnc
[7:15:34 PM] Video Join ...
[7:15:43 PM] Video Joined successfully! [C:POTC CD Joined.avi -1 Bytes]
[7:15:43 PM] Job NOT Done. There are warnings ... Find at the log file the 0 byte generated file to focus where exactly the problem appears
[7:15:43 PM] All Jobs Done !!!

Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: Before anyone suggests it, I already posted on the official forums, but that place is rather dead.

#2 User is offline   MetalGravy 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 1562

Posted 16 July 2006 - 01:46 AM

I ran into this problem as well, and I don't remember the solution (there might be a patch or something that you need to d/l). However, I do remember that when I finally got the program working, and encoded and burned a dvd, I was disappointed that the video didn't look right on a television screen. It looked fine on a computer screen, but not on a television. I heard an explanation of why, but I don't remember it very well; something about the aspect ratio on a regular tv screen being slightly off from 640 x 480 (which is the resolution of the video that I was using), which requires the picture to be stretched maybe? Anyway, the picture looked distorted at the edges an the subtitles went off the bottom of the screen. So if you're planning to watch these dvds on a television, you might want to try a different program.
I am a vampire! I am a zombie! I AM A VAMBIE!!! I CANNOT BE STOPPED!

-Deadite Morbius, Marvel Zombies 3.4.

Pirates>ninja's Faile and her Vagrants are nothing!!!!! YARRRRR!

#3 User is offline   One_Armed_Domon 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 331

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:36 AM

Heh, yeah I rememberd that I had a copy of Nero 7 Premium lying around, and I just used Nero Vision 4 to make my dvd's. And as to why your video didn't work right, its more a comparasion of pixel sizes in conjuction with aspect ratio. Computer movies use a square pixel (1:1) and tv's use ~.9:1, so it screws with the aspect ration a little bit.

#4 User is offline   ElvKun 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 4712

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:30 AM

You can try using TMPGEnc, it has several options, one of which you can use to resize video files to fit on your TV screen

#5 User is offline   Isildur 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 2496

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:53 AM

As is typical with my answers, there's some explaining to do.

Tools that deal with AVI have issues.

Why?
AVI is not a format, 'per-se'. It's more of a wrapper class, like mov. A file with the .avi suffix could be formatted for any one of dozens of codecs, including cinepak, sorenson, divx, xvid, indeo (the list goes on, and keeps getting longer). Working with avi files is an imprecise science because the files may be in any of a variety of actual formats, and not all of them are suited to much else then playback.

So....
There's a 99% likelyhood the files you are dealing with use either the Divx or Xvid codecs. Starting around 2001 with the release of Divx codec 4, Divx and it's later rival Xvid have been the defacto standard of all movie formatting, legitimate or otherwise, because of the massive compression ratio that the format can achieve.

And that means....
Divx and Xvid utilize a number of tricks of formatting to compress video, which in short means not all the video is stored. Unlike an analog video signal, which is continuously refreshed with new data, a compressed digital video signal using xvid has holes where no data is stored because nothing changed from the previous frame to the current frame. This is fine for simple playback because the user will not notice the inconsistancy unless they jump around to various locations in the film. But for 'mastering' that video to disc, this compression presents a serious problem.

There exist...
Some manufacturers have made dvd players that can play divx codec discs (not to be confused with the old divx discs from back in the first dvd format war), but this functionality is by no means universally availible.

The best solution...
I've found only one solution that consistantly can restore divx codec video back to a useable form, and that's Apple's Final Cut Pro, which can restore a compressed video back into a raw dv format, which can then be manipulated or mastered as needed using conventional dvd mastering tools for dv files (essentially all digital video camcorders use dv).

Looking at the AVI2DVD forums...
I note no subforum on AVI->DVD conversion. And as a developer and admin, that says a lot to me. I know from my own understanding of computer tech that the hardest task a program like AVI2DVD would have to handle, would be AVI->DVD conversion. Everything else it does is quite straightforward. The ironic and rather sad part about it all is that the hardest task is likely the only task people even want the app for, and the fact that they only have an area for AVI->VCD conversion tells me they really don't want to deal with people about the DVD part yet.

Overall
It's a "have cake / eat cake" problem, really. People want a format that is small enough to be practical, and robust enough to be useful. And Xvid and Divx do not fit that bill. The push to compress 22 minutes of video into 150 mB when by all rights it should be about 1 gB to be useful for conversion is really the root of the problem, and sadly people have become acclimated to the file size and have an expectation for the future, an expectation that really can't be catered to any further with base 2 computing.

Specifically Regarding AVI2DVD
One known issue of AVI2DVD regarding divx/xvid files is that they must be unmuxed, which essentially strips out any subtitling that isn't encoded into the stream as part of the video data. This has angered a number of fansubbers but was not a 'decision' made by the developers, but rather a forced reality of the technology being used. It's just another extension of the "have cake / eat cake" problem because muxing in subtitles was a quick and dirty solution that became a defacto standard. A good analogy would be building a house of cards on a table, and then deciding you wanted to move the table without toppling the cards.

Closing
As a general rule, I've always felt that it's a wiser investment to mod an xbox into a video playback machine then it is to try turning avi files into dvds.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users