Anime Central Forums: Teenage Girls Rob Man they Met on MySpace - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Teenage Girls Rob Man they Met on MySpace

#1 User is offline   eyeball kid 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 4793

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:28 PM

Parents who worry that their teenage daughters are going to get preyed on by MySpace pervs ought to read this:

The WOAI San Antonio website said:

Teenage Girls Rob Man they Met on MySpace
LAST UPDATE: 6/28/2006 7:36:03 AM

A Jacksonville man says he was duped and robbed by two girls after attempting to meet with a woman he met on the internet.

The victim says he chatted online with a woman, known on her MySpace.com profile as “Natalia”, for two weeks before deciding to meet with her. He says her profile showed sexy photos, and a blurb which said “just lookin’ for something fun”. That brief, friendly description was all he knew about her before they planned to meet.

"She sent me a message saying she thought she met me somewhere," says the victim.

They decided to meet at what she called her home at the Bentley Green Apartments.

“I went to [the apartment] and knocked on the door, and there was no answer. So I called her and said, ‘I'm here’ and there was no answer."

That is when two girls who were 14 and 15-years-old, approached him saying they knew Natalia, the girl he thought he'd be meeting. They also said they knew where he worked at what car he drove.

"This was not the girl that the picture was of on MySpace," the victim said.

Now sensing something was wrong, he was ready to take off, but was stopped by a shocking discovery.

"[One of the girls] took [a] gun out and put it to my head and told me to empty my pockets."

The girls didn't get much because the victim had forgotten his wallet. They let him go, unharmed, and he called police.

Police did a search of the area and found the two teens with another male suspect. They searched a purse and found two loaded handguns.

Myspace.com may have been developed for friends and music, but this victim had to find out the hard way that not everyone is logging on for the right reasons.

The so-called Natalia did tell the victim that she was 18, so he was shocked to learn he was actually talking to a 14-year-old. He says he has since removed personal information from his MySpace profile, like his salary and the kind of car that he drives.

Those teenagers are now charged with armed robbery and carrying a concealed firearm.

Here's a direct link to the story from the WOAI San Antonio website.

#2 User is offline   GiveUpTheGhost 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3441

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:01 AM

so you got held up aye ebk?
My barren plan to be a better man
Rots in abandoned fields
These idle hands inherit spoiled lands
As the hungry become the pigs
We reap (and) we sow
We mourn who we were
Love what we lost

#3 User is offline   JNOtaku 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 913

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:58 PM

That's a hilarious reversal! That man really got what was coming to him! :sweatdrop (Something tells me that these girls should both be police officers, with a specialty in sting operations. ;) )

JNOtaku
"Why don't you all fade away
And don't try to dig what we all say
I'm not trying to cause a big sensation
I'm just talkin' 'bout my generation" (The Who)
The Otaku Generation: Predicted 30 years earlier! Fight OTAKING!

A soldier of the Glomp Team! Member of the Shy Otaku Syndicate, and the ACEN Yakuza! :D My Webpage! My Myspace! My MAL profile!
Forum Daimyo as of 7/21/2005!!! :) Forum Elite (1337) as of 7/19/2006! :D :D :D

#4 User is offline   eyeball kid 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:24 AM

GiveUpTheGhost said:

so you got held up aye ebk?

No, you butt-pirate!

This happened in Jacksonville, Florida. I live in Chicago, Illinois.

#5 User is offline   kawaii_kitty 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 4038

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:08 PM

Hmmm... I could use a little extra cash... maybe I should meet up with some of the weirdos that hit on me on myspace. Now I just have to come up with a plan so I don't get caught like those girls did...
Member of the Shy Otaku Syndicate
General of the Rowdy Otaku Squad and holder of our mascot!
^_^
About me.

^Old signature is old.

#6 User is offline   wolverine33 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 582

Posted 10 July 2006 - 01:33 PM

I heard about htis on the raido a while ago i thought it was funny
the guy had it coming to him LOL.......

Later:cool:

#7 User is offline   GiveUpTheGhost 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3441

Posted 10 July 2006 - 01:53 PM

eyeball kid said:

No, you butt-pirate!

This happened in Jacksonville, Florida. I live in Chicago, Illinois.

WOw dude you like to travel the country in search of fiesty 14 year old vagrants. Sir I salute you.
My barren plan to be a better man
Rots in abandoned fields
These idle hands inherit spoiled lands
As the hungry become the pigs
We reap (and) we sow
We mourn who we were
Love what we lost

#8 User is offline   shonen_jidai 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 3455

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:29 PM

Actually the thing I find most interesting is that the guy had left his wallet at home. I mean, what a cheapskate! Who leaves their wallet at home on a date? A guy on a date with no money is not very attractive.:sweatdrop
ACEN 2012 Cosplays
Nyota Uhura (Star Trek: Original Series)
Miho Tohya (MegaTokyo)
Stocking (Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt)

cosplay pics: Various Cons

#9 User is offline   eyeball kid 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:02 AM

OK I have done a little fact-checking research on this. It's such a great-sounding story it looks almost too good to be true.

I was having trouble tracking down any Florida source for this story, or names of the perps--anything, really--then I stumbled across this:

http://www.wftv.com/...050/detail.html

#10 User is offline   MetalGravy 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 1562

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:34 PM

wolverine33 said:

I heard about htis on the raido a while ago i thought it was funny
the guy had it coming to him LOL.......

Later:cool:

JNOtaku said:

That's a hilarious reversal! That man really got what was coming to him!  (Something tells me that these girls should both be police officers, with a specialty in sting operations.  )

JNOtaku

Wait, maybe I missed something. Why did the guy have it coming to him?
I am a vampire! I am a zombie! I AM A VAMBIE!!! I CANNOT BE STOPPED!

-Deadite Morbius, Marvel Zombies 3.4.

Pirates>ninja's Faile and her Vagrants are nothing!!!!! YARRRRR!

#11 User is offline   Lordi 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 1745

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:56 PM

The girls are under 18, so the media can't use their names without parental consent.

However, having formerly lived in Jacksonville, I can tell you that this is totally in line with what I'd expect from residents there. They have a saying - "You visit on vacation, wind up on probation, then they haul your butt back on violation."
Leader of the Plushie Eaters Alliance (PEA)!

#12 User is offline   eyeball kid 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:10 PM

Here are their names and pics:

http://www.wftv.com/...050/detail.html

#13 User is offline   Femme Fatale 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7220

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:12 AM

I'm glad that this didn't go much further. Yeah shame on the man for using My Space to "allegedly" meet with an 18 year old girl and shame on the suspects for using My Space as a tool to plan for what would've been the "perfect crime". We all should be very careful as to who we chat with on this service. Me personally, I'm not a huge fan of My Space because of the fact that sexual predators use this as a way to lure the young into unsuspecting situations, scams are involved and there's simply no procedures as to how to screen guests. My sister uses My Space all the time to communicate with her friends. I assume she knows who her friends and who not to talk to. I don't want to be a worry wart, but these are the times we live in. It sickens me that people resort to using such extreme tactics to get the trust of young women and men and then exploit that trust into something much sinister. There should be more ways to protect all of us when using My Space. Thats me 2 cents.
Excel's Big Sis

Coming Soon to ACen 2015

Celestia Ludenberg (Dangan Ronpa) and Female Ezio Auditore di Firenze (Assassins Creed)

#14 User is offline   d4rk_d4v3 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 3781

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:10 PM

I am more concerned about how the two teens came to own handguns myself, its a scary thought when a 14 yr old girl is able to just get a gun without the police having the slightest idea, I mean **** there are plenty of adults in the military I dont trust with a gun let alone a teenager.

just some of my thoughts.
D. /. . /
4 ..../.../
V ..../..../
3 . ./..../
. . ./.../..
. . /../ ...
._/../_. _.._
./-/. . . . .-
/-/ . . . . . .-
http://vampirefreaks...uly_Acrimonious
http://www.myspace.com/gothicsk8

#15 User is offline   JNOtaku 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 913

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:17 PM

What if the 14 year old girl is in a neighborhood with a high crime rate (like Englewood)? Wouldn't she want a gun to protect herself from any violent attacks by gang members? I'm not advocating violence here, but if someone is threatening you, shouldn't you have some sort of self defense?

JNOtaku
"In N.R.A. mode"
"Why don't you all fade away
And don't try to dig what we all say
I'm not trying to cause a big sensation
I'm just talkin' 'bout my generation" (The Who)
The Otaku Generation: Predicted 30 years earlier! Fight OTAKING!

A soldier of the Glomp Team! Member of the Shy Otaku Syndicate, and the ACEN Yakuza! :D My Webpage! My Myspace! My MAL profile!
Forum Daimyo as of 7/21/2005!!! :) Forum Elite (1337) as of 7/19/2006! :D :D :D

#16 User is offline   kawaii_kitty 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:42 PM

Femme Fatale said:

I'm glad that this didn't go much further.  Yeah shame on the man for using My Space to "allegedly" meet with an 18 year old girl and shame on the suspects for using My Space as a tool to plan for what would've been the "perfect crime".  We all should be very careful as to who we chat with on this service.  Me personally, I'm not a huge fan of My Space because of the fact that sexual predators use this as a way to lure the young into unsuspecting situations, scams are involved and there's simply no procedures as to how to screen guests.  My sister uses My Space all the time to communicate with her friends.  I assume she knows who her friends and who not to talk to.  I don't want to be a worry wart, but these are the times we live in.  It sickens me that people resort to using such extreme tactics to get the trust of young women and men and then exploit that trust into something much sinister.  There should be more ways to protect all of us when using My Space.  Thats me 2 cents.

Personally, I think too much blame is placed on MySpace. I really don't see how meeting someone from online is more dangererous than meeting someone at a bar for example, as long as both people are smart about it (i.e. don't give out too much personal info. on your profile). Maybe the guy in this story was just a regular guy looking to meet a girl. It's not like he was purposely praying on minors (since he thought he was meeting an 18 year old). True, MySpace can be dangerous, but so can any other internet chat site or date site or any bar or club or basically any place with human interaction. Should I worry more about meeting someone I met on MySpace as opposed to meeting someone I met on the Acen forums? I don't think so. Just my opinion.
^_^
About me.

^Old signature is old.

#17 User is offline   darkened_one 

• IRT
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 1137

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:29 AM

kawaii_kitty said:

Hmmm... I could use a little extra cash... maybe I should meet up with some of the weirdos that hit on me on myspace.  Now I just have to come up with a plan so I don't get caught like those girls did...

wear batman masks
dark god of war, fire, death ... and kittens

I am a man of many names but you only need to know one ... I em the Darkie

members of the dark army
Sinfull_Zaraki, faithful_jello, kawaii_kitty, Oreo_Otaku

#18 User is offline   Lordi 

• Registration Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 1745

Posted 20 July 2006 - 12:58 PM

nixon mask - noone will know who you are - or who your mask is
Leader of the Plushie Eaters Alliance (PEA)!

#19 User is offline   kawaii_kitty 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 20 July 2006 - 04:47 PM

darkened_one said:

wear batman masks

Lordi said:

nixon mask - noone will know who you are - or who your mask is

How about I go as Nixon wearing a batman mask?
^_^
About me.

^Old signature is old.

#20 User is offline   d4rk_d4v3 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 3781

Posted 20 July 2006 - 05:11 PM

JNOtaku said:

What if the 14 year old girl is in a neighborhood with a high crime rate (like Englewood)?  Wouldn't she want a gun to protect herself from any violent attacks by gang members?  I'm not advocating violence here, but if someone is threatening you, shouldn't you have some sort of self defense?

JNOtaku
"In N.R.A. mode"

I lived in Detroit for four years, I have been jumped three times while on my way to work, I was always harassed constantly by crack heads, young bucks, and hookers. I see the need for protection however guns are not used for protection they are used to kill, it is why they were invented, would you give a 14 yr old the power to take life, besides pepper spray, or a blade (meaning pocket knife) will strike fear into anyone cowardly enough to attack a kid, with less chance of anyone drying.
D. /. . /
4 ..../.../
V ..../..../
3 . ./..../
. . ./.../..
. . /../ ...
._/../_. _.._
./-/. . . . .-
/-/ . . . . . .-
http://vampirefreaks...uly_Acrimonious
http://www.myspace.com/gothicsk8

Page 1 of 1