• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Soapbubble 2006

#31 User is offline   Lastshot 

• Pip
  • Group: Purge for Inactivity
  • Member No.: 7097

Posted 07 May 2006 - 09:50 PM

The breakin was the highlight of the night for me, which me and my friend can't get enough of. We hope everyone enjoyed it.

#32 User is offline   Lastshot 

• Pip

Posted 07 May 2006 - 09:52 PM

The breakin was the highlight of the night for me, which me and my friend can't get enough of. We hope everyone enjoyed it.

#33 User is offline   beavis1313 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 4258

Posted 07 May 2006 - 10:12 PM

I was there form start (11:00pm) to finish (5:30am) and I can still feel the bass pounding . All I can say is I was numb form the Knees down even by the time it was over

#34 User is offline   Lastshot 

• Pip

Posted 07 May 2006 - 10:25 PM

you can say that again im still sore

(sorry for the double post i dont know how to delete it)

#35 User is offline   Kiriyama 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 4966

Posted 07 May 2006 - 10:35 PM

OK notto get off the topic...WTF was up with the emo type person (cutting their wrists)? Reply or ignore if you want.

Edit
I didnt mean killing the tread sry with the bad question.
You wish your car was this good http://members.lycos...sv4/Cars/FC.jpg

#36 User is offline   lycwolf 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 4410

Posted 07 May 2006 - 11:14 PM

I need, if you are willing to provide it... An honest opinion of the screen content during the dance. Just need some feedback from all the crazy ravers.

Thnx

#37 User is offline   lololee 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 7107

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:30 AM

Since someone asked for honest opinion, i guess i can give a little.

First, during the DJ competition, I heard Jon Sugerman...(con chair??) spin a few tracks, he train wrecked all the transitions... people who drop their tracks close-eye might do better than him. During the soap bubble, the first half of his set, it was actually pretty nice. He actually beat matched. About 20 mins later, he started to train wreck again... which lead me to believe that he played some pre-mixed tape the first half of his set, and tried to show his stuff second half. His tracks selection was decent.

I think most annoying DJ out of all was Greg Ayers. I couldn't understand why he was the special guest. I got tired of his set 5 mins after he started. There was absolutely no beat matching. He swore so much it turned so many people away. His music did not flow, and it did not go anywhere, it was the same noise junk. People were yelling "you suck", he kept on going for 30 more minutes until I heard a break in the music, so I went back in. He kept on using his voice, which he probably think was cool. It was however, not cool when used so many times.

This is where I can say, the DJ saved my night. I finally got a break when DJ Sha Liu went on. He was, in my opinion the best the whole night. His music was awsome, and I felt like I actually went somewhere. It started slow then went to some crazy hip hop (some house remix?)... People were singing to it! It was very nice programming, consist different genre that was very interesting. The most awsome track was the last track, which i think is heaven scent. It made everyone jump, and people were calling for more... however, he stopped. Through out his entire set, i felt like i was constantly taken higher and higher by the music (not by the annoying MC who kept on cussing, especially whenever a breakdown happened in the DJ's music... I wish he could shut up, so i could enjoy the music instead of hearing "horny ladies"... )

Greg Ayers went on again after DJ Sha Liu. I left soon after that. I really wish that DJ Sha Liu did not stop. I could have had so much fun if he didnt.

Over all, this year's soap bubble was worse than last year. Mainly because there are so much swearing, and sexual jokes that are not funny. If you swear once or twice to get the energy level up, that's fine. However, I don't think i ever heard this many "f**ks" in my life in one setting before.

If you want to improve next year, you really should stop swearing! and invite DJ Sha Liu back for a 2 hours set before the crowd left during some sucky DJ (for example, Greg Ayers). Please don't invite Greg Ayers again... at least not for DJing.

#38 User is offline   lololee 

• Pip

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:41 AM

Check out this link, if anyone thought Soap Bubble was the best...or even good...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=t7EbIKN9MlM

To control the crowd and energy wave like they do, without anyone even talking on a mic...

And the only DJ that came close to this was DJ Sha Liu, and the second runner up is DJ Khek, though he didn't mix anyways, his cuts were right on and his track programming was pretty sweet.

#39 User is offline   GTS89 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 3474

Posted 08 May 2006 - 01:28 AM

Lastshot said:

Break dancing was hella fun Dave! It was funny when people made me put glowsticks in my shoe laces! :D

#40 User is offline   Illiud 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 7081

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:41 AM

This was an awesome rave, guys. I loved it. It's brought out the clubber in me, and now I'm going to be hunting for good clubs in my area! Thank you ACen SoapBubble! .:.glomps.:.

#41 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 1441

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:58 PM

lololee said:

Check out this link, if anyone thought Soap Bubble was the best...or even good...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=t7EbIKN9MlM

To control the crowd and energy wave like they do, without anyone even talking on a mic...

And the only DJ that came close to this was DJ Sha Liu, and the second runner up is DJ Khek, though he didn't mix anyways, his cuts were right on and his track programming was pretty sweet.

quick question on why you think DJ khek didnt mix were you up on stage are you a DJ or are you just another one of the haters on here that thinks he or she can spin.

PLEASE PLEASE STOP CALLING THE SOAPBUBBLE A RAVE.

raves have been dead since 1999 all this is, is a party and as far as energy goes i think about 98% of the people there loved the party.

I personally think this years party was one of the best we've ever had with the largest amount of people i've ever seen at an anime convention party. we held a large crowd of people till the sun came out which is what i wanted there were at least 100 people still there at 530am and it looked like they still wanted to party even longer.

So lololee if you think you could do any better then "MY DJ's" then please do enter the DJ competition next year because you obviously think you know how to spin by your comments about Jon Sugerman. i've DJ'd for well over 15years and both times i heard Jon spin i never head him train wreck once and he's only been spinning for 3 months he in my opinion is a rock solid DJ and is gonna be even better as times goes on.

Now as for people talkin on the mic hey its my party i say what i want. i say what i say in response to how i see the crowd goin and the crowd hadn't stop moving since the party started at 12:00am. And come on its party for gods sake no need to be uptight about swearing and the occasional innuendo it happens. hell there are people walkin around wearing next to nothing for gods sake its gonna happen.

also as for your comments about greg i had never heard him spin before that night so honestly i didn't know what to expect from him. all i know is what i've heard about the drama that has happened in the past with other conventions he has spun at and the other crappy DJ's he's had to deal with.
From what i heard that night Greg is an awesome DJ with lots of energy and he knows what the hell his doing. he plays sick butt tracks and nows how to keep the crowd moving. Greg will always have a permenant spot to spin at Acen, i consider him one of our residents now.
Allen Castillo

#42 User is offline   lololee 

• Pip

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:20 PM

I find it ridiculous you would be so arrogant and full of yourself, when you claim you have been a DJ for 15 years and you still cannot tell the difference between mixing and cutting, and when "DJs" can't even beatmatch??? You don't have to be on stage and SEE what the DJs are doing, you just have to HEAR IT. Just because I can hear the difference does not make me a DJ, though I'm flattered you would assume I am. So many of my friends left during Greg Ayres' set (and about 1/3 of the place cleared out by the end of his set...but I'm sure you wouldn't know if you were at the front, or even onstage) because 1) His voice effects were harsh on the ears 2) He couldn't beatmatch at all 3) His equipment screwed up but he pretended like it was a cool effect he did, until the MC announced that it was a technical problem...which proves the eyes are deceiving, but the ears don't lie...

I know for a fact that DJ Khek did not mix at all during his set. I can hear it. He scratched (pretty well) over most of his tracks, and then when the time came to transition to the next one, he cut directly to it effectively, at the right place. This is not as good as a seamless mixing transition, but it gets the job done nicely. I liked his music, the crowd responded well, and not many people left during his set.

For your information, raves are NOT dead. They are happening every weekend, in every major city, around the WORLD. Just because you don't have the quality to pull one off doesn't mean that raves died with you. Underground culture didn't die, and probably won't for a long long time to come. If you are interested in seeing what raves are out there, in the Midwest area, go to http://www.midwest-underground.com/
It's still very much alive.

I don't care who you make a resident of Soap Bubble. I will not be coming back next year. If you do not improve, I know I won't be the only one not returning. I paid money for this, and I could have gone to a better "party" with better DJs, better MCs, and better music for so much less (for god's sake, Tiesto and James Lauer combined only cost $40, and he came to Chicago on Saturday night, and what a mistake I made to come to "YOUR" party instead...). Most raves around also have better DJs than most of the lineup for Soap Bubble, and they only cost $5 - $10.

All I'm trying to do is give you advice, since someone asked for an honest opinion. But if this is the way you treat advice and suggestions, then you're bound to fail at making parties. You will turn away all true lovers of electronic music and only cater to the teen/first time ravers.

P.S. I'm not a hater. I'm a lover of electronic music (why would I go to clubs and parties and raves on almost a weekly basis if I didn't love this music?). Most of what I heard at Soap Bubble, including the MCing, is NOT the quality talent, DJing, and music that I've come to expect from quality "parties" and electronic music events.

BTW, I've been searching for DJ Sha Liu's info. Does he have a residency at a club or something? I've been looking for his music. Please let me know where I can contact him.

#43 User is offline   Redrumcarebear 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 2404

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:25 AM

Kiriyama said:

OK notto get off the topic...WTF was up with the emo type person (cutting their wrists)? Reply or ignore if you want.

Edit
I didnt mean killing the tread sry with the bad question.

Yeah, I heard of this as well...
Durring the rave, i took a short break and walked outside. I saw an ambulence and such, and people around me were talking about someone cutting their wrists in the elevator. The middle elevator in the business hallway was down.

#44 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2006 - 05:58 PM

lololee]I find it ridiculous you would be so arrogant and full of yourself, on when you claim you have been a DJ for 15 years and you still cannot tell the difference between mixing and cutting, and when "DJs" can, said:

as to my arrogance that you speak of i think i've earned my right to be that way i've been in the party scene for a long long time i've Dj'ed for 15 years have been going to parties since i was 14 i'm almost 30 now i've worked in various nightclubs here in chicago and in San Francisco i've thrown more parties then i can count so yeah i think i can be arrogant.

ok the technical problem you speak of wasn't his fault in the first place it was the people who set up his gear they plugged all of his equipment into a power source that wasn't viable. his beatmatching was spot on the entire time.

I know for a fact that DJ Khek did not mix at all during his set. I can hear it. He scratched (pretty well) over most of his tracks, and then when the time came to transition to the next one, he cut directly to it effectively, at the right place. This is not as good as a seamless mixing transition, but it gets the job done nicely. I liked his music, the crowd responded well, and not many people left during his set.

since your not a DJ you have no clue what the hell it is your talkin about so please don't tell me who was or wasn't mixing.

For your information, raves are NOT dead. They are happening every weekend, in every major city, around the WORLD. Just because you don't have the quality to pull one off doesn't mean that raves died with you. Underground culture didn't die, and probably won't for a long long time to come. If you are interested in seeing what raves are out there, in the Midwest area, go to http://www.midwest-underground.com/
It's still very much alive.

please the rave scene has been dead for quite a long time i was goin to raves when they were actually raves and actually underground and that was back in the early 90's.

I don't care who you make a resident of Soap Bubble. I will not be coming back next year. If you do not improve, I know I won't be the only one not returning. I paid money for this, and I could have gone to a better "party" with better DJs, better MCs, and better music for so much less (for god's sake, Tiesto and James Lauer combined only cost $40, and he came to Chicago on Saturday night, and what a mistake I made to come to "YOUR" party instead...). Most raves around also have better DJs than most of the lineup for Soap Bubble, and they only cost $5 - $10.

thats excellent the party definitely doesn't need people like you bringing down the mood of everyone else.

All I'm trying to do is give you advice, since someone asked for an honest opinion. But if this is the way you treat advice and suggestions, then you're bound to fail at making parties. You will turn away all true lovers of electronic music and only cater to the teen/first time ravers.

i don't really need your advice i've been throwing the party at acen since 2000. before i came along the party was horrible no one went and didn't even give it a second look. every year i've helped throw the party the numbers have always increased cuz people know that i put together a good time. i don't cater the party towards anyone crowd that would be stupid i cater the party so everyone has a good time. all true lovers of music don't have the attitude that you have. true lovers of music would be there to have a good time not piss and moan well i don't like that dj so therefore the party sux.

P.S. I'm not a hater. I'm a lover of electronic music (why would I go to clubs and parties and raves on almost a weekly basis if I didn't love this music?). Most of what I heard at Soap Bubble, including the MCing, is NOT the quality talent, DJing, and music that I've come to expect from quality "parties" and electronic music events.

To me you come off as a hater i've been dealing with people like you on this message board for quite a long time and i'm sure it won't stop anytime soon.
many people have complained in the past about how they could throw a better party or they could DJ better then the DJ's i brought to the Soapbubble. i say to them go ahead and try but you know what they never do anything about it cuz they don't have the guts to try. you know what jumping on the mic isn't easy to do i just go up there and say a few words whatever's on my mind i'm not trying to make a statement or anything i'm just sayin what i feel so if you think it sux oh well i'll be on the mic no matter what cuz its my MIC.

[qoute]BTW, I've been searching for DJ Sha Liu's info. Does he have a residency at a club or something? I've been looking for his music. Please let me know where I can contact him.

so your gonna blast me, the DJ's and the party and now you want a favor.
wow thats crazy. i don't even know what to think of that.
Allen Castillo

#45 User is offline   Harrison Bergeron 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 666

Posted 10 May 2006 - 11:47 AM

First off, to Beavis 1313...thanks for staying till the end! In fact I want to thank everybody who stayed for the entire set...you all are so great!

Okay, on to the discussion. As the primary promoter for this year's party, I had my work cut out for me this year. Big props to Allen who hung back and let me run this one for this year. He supported my decisions and just chimed in when I was stuck. This was a learning experience and for that, I am grateful.

With no dissrespect to the Masquerade crew, we were late again and I apologize for that. Just once, I would like to have this event jump off when it is supposed to....

First off, mad props to PLID! Those guys were freaking awesome and I have nothing but love for them! Their performance truly set the evening off in the right direction and I would love to have them back again!

Jon Sugerman's set:

Just for the record, Sugerman only had one minor trainwreck and that was due to his attempt to mix out of PLID's last track, a decision he made at the last moment. It was a courageous attempt, especially for somebody who only got on the tables for the first time three months ago. What you heard during his set, that sounded like a trainwreck was the massive slap-back from the soundsystem. Slap-back is what happens when the audio output from a system exceeds the capacity of the room where it is being used. The sound hits the back wall and bounces back to the front, clashing with the original sound. To an untrained ear, it will sound like a DJ trainwrecking. Later in the set, we were able to reduce it, but Jon being the first DJ, had to deal with it during his set. We who were up on stage were able to hear his mixes through the monitors and it was on point. I was impressed by his effort and he will only improve with time and experience. Hell, he improved by the time he did his second set, which rocked even more. He went back on around 4:30AM and went berserk!

DJ Khek:

Khek is and always has been the consumate showman. He does things with the tables that most guys can only dream of, and this year was no exception. Both of his sets were off the hook and he did it up with gusto! What more can I say? Well for starters, Khek did mix, as well as scratched his way through his sets and proved that turntablism is still alive and well in the arena.

Sha Liu:

Sha Liu is a person who has mixing in his blood. He is one hell of a dynamo and he has a lot of fun with his mixing. I had fun listening to his set and he banged the box like he owned it...and for that time, he did! You will hear a lot more of him next year, for sure!

Greg Ayres:

There are professionals and then there are professionals. Greg Ayres is both. For his first set, we have to take responsibility for it going wrong. One of the sound guys accidently plugged his mix console into the same circuit that ran the subwoofer. However, Greg "played through the pain" and did his best to make it through the set until we identified the problem. He is a real trooper and I appreciated his forebearance and professionalism. What Lololee criticized, was the hallmark of a pro. Greg did his best to try to keep the set going, despite the technical problems. He could have threw a tantrum, or just quit and walked away...however, he tried to keep it entertaining for the audience.
His second set made up for everything else, though! He demonstrated something that I have always stated; a DJ is not just some guy who plays records, but a performance artist! Greg put on a performance and it rocked!

Ethan Cain (Lycwolf):
This is our second year working with Ethan as the VJ and his visualizations set the party off with a bang! The crowd effects were amazing and he did an awesome job with what he had to work with. Next year, I hope to have him and his partner involved earlier on, so we can do more with him!

My own set:

Technically, my set was sound and it did what it was supposed to do. However, I am considering stepping away from future sets at ACen for one simple reason. The crowd does not appreciate my chosen genres of music, and I have no desire to change to what they seem to want to hear.

I am a disco and house DJ, and ACen is a progressive and D&B type crowd. Soulful dance music does not go over well with the Anime Central audience and it is time that I recognized that fact. The rest of the dance music world understands that faster is not always better. I do my best mixing between 117-128 BPM. I found myself speeding up a lot of my tracks in order to try to maintain the energy that the other DJs had built up and that was a disservice to the beauty of those songs. I did nothing but classic tracks this year; songs that in other venues would have had the crowds screaming madly and losing their minds with the groove.

I opened with the "In Song and In Dance" remix of "Welcome to the Pleasure Dome" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood- a guaranteed floor-filler. From there, I dropped the "Michael's Milkshake" mashup, and then went into "Ibiza In My Soul" by the Groove Masters. Next was "House Nation." To be honest, after that, it was a blur. However, I found that the crowd appreciated the fact that I jumped down into the audience and danced with some of the girls and there were some cuties in the crowd that night!!!

Speaking of, especially to that one cute little redhead...I'm a married man! Don't go peeking under my kilt!!! My wife would murder me!!!! :D

In retrospect, perhaps I should have just stayed true to what I wanted to do...straight disco. It might have gone over better!

Overall, the party was a lot of fun and for those who did not have as much fun, all I can say is that I'm sorry. However, except for Sugerman, we all have been doing this at various venues for several years and Anime Central in particular and anime cons in general are the only venues where we are exposed this kind of criticism. I still spin sets in Chicago and the rest of the country, and I still get paid to do so. I spin the same way on the radio and I'm still recognized as a talented DJ, as are we all.

Lololee, I will apologize for you not having a good time, but I will not apologize for my DJs or my fellow promoter, Allen Castillo. At 5:30 Sunday morning, there were still 200 people who disagreed with you about the quality of the set.

Nevertheless, I respect your right to an opinion, and if you choose not to attend the Soap Bubble next year, then I hope that you can find alternate programming to enhance your Anime Central experience.

Beryl Turner
Co-promoter, ACen 2006 Soap Bubble
"Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur... goes a Latin proverb. The world wants to be deceived...So let it be deceived."
"If someone stands in the way of true justice, you simply walk up behind them and stab them in the heart."
Henri Ducard (Ras Al Ghul)- Batman Begins
"It is pleasant at times to play the madman..."
Seneca- Roman Dramatist, Philosopher, & Politician
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence."
Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)
Nothing is true. All is permissible."
Hassan I Sabbah- Lord and leader of the Assassins Cult

#46 User is offline   Wasiqi83 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 879

Posted 10 May 2006 - 04:33 PM

Man, Beryl it's a shame people in Chicago(both living and visiting) don't appreciate what this town gave birth to and made famous, amazing house. I'm highly disappointed I didn't get to work Soap Bubble and see your set, as I really enjoyed your set at previous years. If you decide to spin house again next year, know you'll have at least one fan of it, even though I like Drum and Bass as well.

And to take a song from a Marc Almaria CD I have:

"You got to live your life....and do what you want to do!"

#47 User is offline   DJ 77 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 7218

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:27 PM

Screw the haters. Soapbubble this year was one of the better events of the year so far. Probably the most fun I've had at an event/show/party/"rave"/whatever in long time. Mad props to everyone for such a great time this year.

#48 User is offline   lie.to.me 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 4783

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:54 PM

Soap Bubble '06 kicked my butt in the face. The djs were off the hook. The visuals were sick. The dancing was tight. And now I promise I'm done using words/phrases that don't really make sense and which I'd never use in a real conversation.

First of all, thank you to all the djs. Your stage presence and energy alone was enough to make me stay until the freaking house lights were turned on and we the very few prevailing "hard core" were booted out. I danced my pants off. Almost literally...Almost. (I was standing in the very very uber front basically the entire time...I like watching the djs spin whilst dancing. It's entertaining.)

Secondly the visuals were unreal. Sometime around the 3:30 hour I became mesmerized, and just stood staring at the screens admiring that work. Being brain-dead only made the experience that much more trippy and enjoyable . Bravo.

Thirdly, thank you to the main programming people and IRT who kept everything running smoothly to the wee hours of the morning. You rock, rock.

And to everybody who danced: You're awesome. Thank you for making everyone feel welcome. My only request would be to see less making out/ extreme grinding. The dance floor is for dancing. Call me an elitist bastard, but I came to dance...And grinding just ain't dancing. (Oh yeah, and I find direct physical interaction repulsive. Oops.) But anywho, well done.

My tip for being a successful self-made glow stick vendor: Stand near conga line. Hold out bag of glow sticks. Shout, "hey nana glow sticks. got your glow sticks right here. who wants glow sticks?" It works. And I had a great time selling.

I have no complaints whatsoever. Well, except for the fact that I was freaking sore for a day. And that I got sweaty which in turn made my hair all apocalyptic-flapper-girl-esque and wavy (it's not a good look). Other than those two things which were obviously not your fault, I can only offer up my congrats and gratitude for one hell of a night-morning.

-->natalie ((zombie))

#49 User is offline   shinji 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 25

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:51 PM

I want to say thank you to everyone that came to the SoapBubble. Being my first time to spin in front of a crowd, I had a blast! For those of you that enjoyed my sets, thank you so very much! For those that did not like them, please tell me how I can improve. For those that just want to hate, then get up on stage and show us how much better you are then the rest of us!

To the DJ contest contestants, you all rocked! We really did have a difficult job picking the winners. You all have your own style and presence and I think you are all winners! To our 3 finalists, I tip my hat; you all kicked so much major butt! And to our winner, Sha Liu, my god! You are amazing!!!

To Allen, Beryl, Chris, DJ Khek, and Greg Ayres, thank you for welcoming me into the fold and allowing me to have what had to have been the best onstage experience of my life! You all have been supportive and have been good teachers, mentors, and friends. I really look forward to spinning again next year if I am invited to do so. Once I get used to my new gear, I will start tossing some mixes up on my LJ account. If you want to be added in, let me know via PM.

Once again thank you to the fans for making the Anime Central SoapBubble the best party in the convention world! We are number one, and all of the other cons are just going to have to chew on that! :D
Jon

#50 User is offline   Nameloc 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 7110

Posted 13 May 2006 - 02:58 PM

first off, i think that sb was amazing.
i most enjoyed beryl and khek's sets.
im not into trance, but i can say that sha liu rocked the crowd. I was disapointed when the sound cut out during one of the sweetest intros of any dnb track. pendulum- slam. speaking of which, that is all i heard from greg, which was disapointing as well. i understand that the anime crowd is mostly not very educated about electronic music, but trance is not the answer. :) listen to other genres before you say that someone's set was bad because it does not contain a two hour breakdown. i wish i would have played for you guys, but there wasnt enough time, and my track that i remixed got cut of at underground groove. if you want to hear the rest of it, go here - myspace.com/N4M3L0C.
thank you for your time, and thank you acen staff for a sweet PARTY. (not a rave. raves are illegal and underground. you arent supposed to talk about them. like fight club)

Dj Nameloc

#51 User is offline   afro_hyde19 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 1523

Posted 14 May 2006 - 01:58 PM

Hey this is Dj Khek and I finally gotta reply.... this years bubble was soo damn fun! I thought last year would be hard to top, but we did it this year. We nearly had 2,000 people in there i think. I heard they had to stop letting people in because of fire capacity, and that capacity is nearly 2,000 people! Every1's set rocked and I am truly amazed by the crowd interaction. Thanks to all those thar stayed until the end, you all out lasted us! You all still wanted to dance while we wanted to go to sleep! Thanks again, and see you all next year :D
Hell is not a place you go, if you're not a christian.
It's the failure of your life's greatest ambition.

-Immortal Technique

"Looks is a heap more important then brains, cause most men can see better then they think" :sweatdrop
-Tammy Tyree

Myspace.com/Outastyle

#52 User is offline   Soulcrash 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 72

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:43 PM

I wish I can go to the other major cons (Anime Expo, Otakon, AKon, etc) to check out how they do their "raves" .....

Going Off Topic here
(Sorry Allen, I just felt like saying that just to annoy you... HAHAHAHA! Yeah, I hate it too when someone called a con dance a "rave"... No wonder that Katsucon's dance/rave failed on me... Too many people called it a rave there!! WAY TOO MANY GLOWSTICK PEOPLE who don't know what they're doing!! Not many breakdancers... And they also banned my video camera there on Saturday night... And all I did was filmed the bboy side of the dance.. The only person who was dope spinning at Katsucon was.... Greg Ayers... His "Price is Right" remix was off the hook! Yo!)

So I can official say that "ANIME CENTRAL IS OFFICIAL #1 WHEN IT COME TO (ANIME) CONS PARTY/DANCE!!"
Ronald "SoulCrash" Ladao, age 25, I'm a photographer for hired......
The new home for my convention photos, videos, and side projects.....
**FaceBook**; **Twitter**; **DeviantART**

#53 User is offline   Sha Liu 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 4899

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:09 AM

Enjoy :)

I had a blast this year. Hope you all had a great time as well!

I know I'm not the only one who took videos/camcorder recordings of the DJ Competition and Soap Bubble, so if you have any additional media in any medium, post it on this thread!

Everything is linked through myspace page:

-------->>>> http://www.myspace.com/shaliu ;) which went from 2:45am-3:30am.

For my booking info, email me at shaliu@uchicago.edu

Thanks for all the support!!

**Videos used with permission from Midwest Animation Promotion Society

#54 User is offline   Soulcrash 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 72

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:58 PM

Sha Liu said:

Comments/suggestions/constructive criticisms are always welcome!!!

I'm going to speak my mind out on this one....

Whatever happen to the "no shirt, no service" policy inside the hotel....????

This is what I'm trying to say here... My biggest rant in the soap bubbles is.. GUYS WHO DON'T WEAR SHIRTS DURING THE SOAP BUBBLE!!! And that also the same with guys who wear those lame @$$ fish net shirts!!!.. I don't want to see a skinny @$$ sweaty fanboy without a shirt, doing some weird $h*t with another guy!! AHHHHHHHH!!!... Don't those guys know that they could give some person some kind of rash from there sweaty shirtless bodies, or give them to themselves???. I swear, "the night clubs that I went to", I never saw a guy without a shirt, or wears fist net shirts... hell, I know how to dress good without taking off the shirt...
Ronald "SoulCrash" Ladao, age 25, I'm a photographer for hired......
The new home for my convention photos, videos, and side projects.....
**FaceBook**; **Twitter**; **DeviantART**

#55 User is offline   JNOtaku 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 913

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:07 AM

I definitely enjoyed SoapBubble! It was the first time that I have ever voluntarily been to a dance, and it was the first time that I got to hear electronic music live! I was only there for about an hour (after waiting in line for 70 minutes), but what I heard was great (especially SLID).

The only thing that I didn't like about SoapBubble was that there were too many chairs in the room. When I was in the shoulder-to-shoulder chain of people, I bumped into the chairs once. One or two rows in the very back would be enough.

JNOtaku
"Why don't you all fade away
And don't try to dig what we all say
I'm not trying to cause a big sensation
I'm just talkin' 'bout my generation" (The Who)
The Otaku Generation: Predicted 30 years earlier! Fight OTAKING!

A soldier of the Glomp Team! Member of the Shy Otaku Syndicate, and the ACEN Yakuza! :D My Webpage! My Myspace! My MAL profile!
Forum Daimyo as of 7/21/2005!!! :) Forum Elite (1337) as of 7/19/2006! :D :D :D

#56 User is offline   lololee 

• Pip

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:56 PM

Speaking of clubing experiences… I have been to clubs in almost every continent. The best clubs are definitely not in US! My personal favorite would be Zouk in Singapore for the interior design, or Cocoon in Frankfurt for the 360 degrees panoramic screens. Ibiza clubs are also nice, but they were trashier than I expected. They all have top-notch sound and truly quality DJs.

For the final round, I left after InSilico’s all trance set (he dropped anthem after anthem after anthem, and most of them by UK producers). If anyone can be called a trance DJ, it would be him, not Sha Liu.

DJ Sha Liu, your final set was very solid. It was even better than the Soap Bubble set!

To DJ Nameloc – I am surprised that you would infer Sha Liu to be a trance DJ, and that the crowd was mostly into trance. If I recall correctly, most of the high points during Soap Bubble were not during trance tracks, though when Sha Liu dropped the few trance anthems he did, the crowd went nuts, and even yelled “drop it! Drop it! Drop it!” after the end of Bedrock’s Heaven Scent, which was his last track, and one of the most easily recognizable anthems in all electronic dance music. For a DJ that mixes hip hop into house, then into acid techno, then trance, (correct me if I am wrong) it is unfair to categorize him or her into any single genre. Of all the people that knew music, I would expect a DJ to know no less than an audience member. How can you assume that I haven’t heard other genres of electronic music? The reason that other DJs sets were not as good as Sha Liu’s was not because of their genres of music, but in their technical merits. In fact, I was born in Chicago and I love house music. But nowadays, there are too many DJs who constantly only play one genre of music in order to avoid trainwrecks. I believe that DJs who are willing to take the risk and mix between multiple, and even diverse genres, are more talented. However, if I were to call you a drum n’ bass or a jungle DJ, I would be most correct, because those genres are all you played.
….and BTW, if raves were “illegal and underground. you arent supposed to talk about them” how would people know they exist in the first place if they did not talk about it, and why are they so widespread if they were truly illegal and underground? Your statement obvious does not make sense…

To Soulcrash – adding effects onto a Korg Kaoss pad (yes, I know that is what Greg Ayers used, even if I wasn’t up there, because the effects are very recognizable and are trademarks of the Kaoss pad) does NOT make it a remix of any song. If you interpret adding loops, samples, and simple effects into a song live, without fundamentally altering the structure or music composition of a song, as a “remix”, then you obviously don’t know what you’re talking about. Calling it a “remix” is a disgrace to dance music culture, and gives Greg Ayres much undue credit. And to be honest, his Korg Kaoss pad was used WAY too much and inefficiently. It became a burden on the ears and I saw many people plugging their ears every time altered his voice while talking over the mic with the pad effects. This was also another reason I didn’t stay in Soap Bubble for a long time during his set.

To Beryl Turner’s comment – Classical tracks are classical; people do go mad for them when used wisely. However, they can be quite boring if used wrong, which in some ways insults the very classical track to be praised. For example, DJ InSilico played all classical Trance Anthems during his final set, yet he did not do justice to most of the tracks, which was why his set was not interesting. It is not what you play, but how you play the tracks that really matters. Anthems should be used not just in the right way, but also at the right times in a set, usually at the peak times.

I have heard complaints from some breakdancers in the crowd that before Sha Liu went on, they couldn’t even dance well because it was too fast for them. They had no problems during your set though. So rest assured that your audience is still very much alive.

Also, if I want to see DJ Sha Liu spin, I can hire him to spin house parties for me. I do not have to go to Anime Central to go see him. Therefore I would not return next year.

To Allen Castillo – I’m not sure what gave you the right to be so arrogant, even though you may have thrown a few parties. I personally have been all over the world, shook hands with some of the most well-known and respected, and most talented DJs and EDM producers in the world – PvD, Sasha, Digweed, Tiesto, BT, Roni Size, Jeff Mills, to name a few…
None of them were ever as arrogant as you. They were all surprisingly humble, and their passion for the music far surpasses their acknowledgement of their own achievements.
BTW, I was not asking you for any favors. This is a public forum, and I was hoping Sha Liu can see this message and reply to my PMs, as some of the clubs I know around Chicago are always looking for talented DJs. I never asked you for his contact info, and I wouldn’t suppose you know it anyways.

And to all of you whom this is the first time you have been to a party like this, for reference, good mixing is considered at least 30 seconds of overlapping between the previous track to the next track, which matches in pitch, tempo/beat, and musical elements. Anyone can mix, you can do it by closing your eyes, and sliding the crossfader on your mixer. But to mix well, that’s a whole other story….To my knowledge, there are only 2 DJs who qualified for good mixing at Acen: Sha Liu and DJ Grifty McGrift. To me, they should have been the top two. However, DJ Grifty McGrift’s style was too subtle and progressive for the judges’ ears. I do remember hearing DJ Grifty McGrift’s set in Smart Bar sometimes ago last December. He was awesome.

To DJ Grifty McGrift – Don’t worry that you did not win this competition; you are still an awesome DJ that surpasses almost all the DJs at Acen. I hope to see you more in the future around Chicago clubs!

I have never been a hater, and I never will be a hater. All I have done is merely offering suggestions to better the event, and for giving my honest opinion – after all, isn’t that what forums are for, and isn’t that the title of your forum thread “Programming Events/Suggestions”??? I have also pointed out various incorrect notions and other comments that were written with an air of conceitedness but have no real substance. I have tried to dispel many myths and ask any of you reading this to actually analyze the evidence, if you are in such a position of knowledge and experience to do so.

Yet all I receive are accusations of me being a “hater” and that people who are truly arrogant, will still continue to be arrogant, even when they know the truth themselves that it was not the case.

I cannot believe I am wasting my time on this. No wonder no one posts on this forum besides a few people here and there, and they are mostly Acen staff and DJs. Now that I found DJ Sha Liu’s information, it gives even less reason to be here.

#57 User is offline   DJ 77 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 7218

Posted 20 May 2006 - 10:08 AM

Let's just all agree that the over-commercialization of Christmas is, at best, a mixed blessing...

#58 User is offline   Nameloc 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 7110

Posted 20 May 2006 - 02:21 PM

lololee said:

To DJ Nameloc – I am surprised that you would infer Sha Liu to be a trance DJ, and that the crowd was mostly into trance. If I recall correctly, most of the high points during Soap Bubble were not during trance tracks, though when Sha Liu dropped the few trance anthems he did, the crowd went nuts, and even yelled “drop it! Drop it! Drop it!” after the end of Bedrock’s Heaven Scent, which was his last track, and one of the most easily recognizable anthems in all electronic dance music. For a DJ that mixes hip hop into house, then into acid techno, then trance, (correct me if I am wrong) it is unfair to categorize him or her into any single genre. Of all the people that knew music, I would expect a DJ to know no less than an audience member. How can you assume that I haven’t heard other genres of electronic music? The reason that other DJs sets were not as good as Sha Liu’s was not because of their genres of music, but in their technical merits. In fact, I was born in Chicago and I love house music. But nowadays, there are too many DJs who constantly only play one genre of music in order to avoid trainwrecks. I believe that DJs who are willing to take the risk and mix between multiple, and even diverse genres, are more talented. However, if I were to call you a drum n’ bass or a jungle DJ, I would be most correct, because those genres are all you played.
….and BTW, if raves were “illegal and underground. you arent supposed to talk about them” how would people know they exist in the first place if they did not talk about it, and why are they so widespread if they were truly illegal and underground? Your statement obvious does not make sense…

ok, I never called sha liu a trance dj. look it up. i think he did well, but i do not enjoy trance. honestly, i was not at ug for insilico's set because i hadn't eaten since that morning. my day consisted of waiting some 2 hrs for the comp to start, then battling right afterwards. by that time, it was about 11. i enjoy your criticism, but the only other genres that are remotely close to the stuff i spin are gabber and happy hardcore. its not my fault i like dnb, and i think its wrong to say that someone is a better dj just because they like to play multiple genres. I play one genre because my heart belongs mostly to one genre, and records are expensive, as well as cd players. i was joking about the rave thing, but you honestly were not. you should take life less seriously. arguing about semantics is like riding a moped. its not cool, even if your friends dont see you.

#59 User is offline   saiyajinimport 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:48 PM

lololee said:

To Allen Castillo – I’m not sure what gave you the right to be so arrogant, even though you may have thrown a few parties. I personally have been all over the world, shook hands with some of the most well-known and respected, and most talented DJs and EDM producers in the world – PvD, Sasha, Digweed, Tiesto, BT, Roni Size, Jeff Mills, to name a few…
None of them were ever as arrogant as you. They were all surprisingly humble, and their passion for the music far surpasses their acknowledgement of their own achievements.  
BTW, I was not asking you for any favors. This is a public forum, and I was hoping Sha Liu can see this message and reply to my PMs, as some of the clubs I know around Chicago are always looking for talented DJs. I never asked you for his contact info, and I wouldn’t suppose you know it anyways.

And to all of you whom this is the first time you have been to a party like this, for reference, good mixing is considered at least 30 seconds of overlapping between the previous track to the next track, which matches in pitch, tempo/beat, and musical elements. Anyone can mix, you can do it by closing your eyes, and sliding the crossfader on your mixer. But to mix well, that’s a whole other story….To my knowledge, there are only 2 DJs who qualified for good mixing at Acen: Sha Liu and DJ Grifty McGrift. To me, they should have been the top two. However, DJ Grifty McGrift’s style was too subtle and progressive for the judges’ ears. I do remember hearing DJ Grifty McGrift’s set in Smart Bar sometimes ago last December. He was awesome.  

To DJ Grifty McGrift – Don’t worry that you did not win this competition; you are still an awesome DJ that surpasses almost all the DJs at Acen. I hope to see you more in the future around Chicago clubs!

I have never been a hater, and I never will be a hater. All I have done is merely offering suggestions to better the event, and for giving my honest opinion – after all, isn’t that what forums are for, and isn’t that the title of your forum thread “Programming Events/Suggestions”??? I have also pointed out various incorrect notions and other comments that were written with an air of conceitedness but have no real substance. I have tried to dispel many myths and ask any of you reading this to actually analyze the evidence, if you are in such a position of knowledge and experience to do so.  

Yet all I receive are accusations of me being a “hater” and that people who are truly arrogant, will still continue to be arrogant, even when they know the truth themselves that it was not the case.

I cannot believe I am wasting my time on this.  No wonder no one posts on this forum besides a few people here and there, and they are mostly Acen staff and DJs. Now that I found DJ Sha Liu’s information, it gives even less reason to be here.

WOW talk about someone whose full of himself so you've clubbed all over the world (yeah right:p ) good way to name drop all the famous DJ's that any person would know.

Oh yeah your the definition of a hater so please enough of your trash talk please cuz really no one wants to hear it on here. especially me i'm sick of people like you that come on the forums just to talk trash and have never been on here at all.

well if your wasting your time why do you keep comin back please just stop you bring way to much of a negative vibe to this forum and to the party with your elitest attitude that your better then everyone else cuz "you've been all over the world clubbing" which is a load of shyte. for someone to say i like a club cuz of the interior design is obviously the biggest bullsH*** ever. no one cares about that all people care about is the music and if there having a good time.

so i've had enough of you please i hope you don't reply to this cuz i really am sick of readin your silly posts.
Allen Castillo

#60 User is offline   lycwolf 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 4410

Posted 27 May 2006 - 06:48 AM

Well, for those who care... I am listening to a large chunk of the dance right now... And for the type of crowd the music and the athomosphere was awesome, There was a ton of energy in there for the entire 7 or so hours of the dance.

Thanks Beryl, I can't wait for next year. And yes, I would like to get in on this earlier and do a lot more for the con. BTW, your set rocked, I liked the old/skool style whether anyone else did or not.

To all the other DJ's, keep it goin, you rocked!

My **** can be found at 360.yahoo.com/lycwolf and lycwolf.com too book or contact for events goto theumbrellacorp.us or email me at lycwolf(at)gmail.com

(Maybe next time I can get a room in the hyatt? The walk from the Doubletree killed my weekend...)

Thnx again for the great time.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users