Convention policies, times, dates, etc. are always subject to change with or without notice.
For your safety and the safety of your fellow attendees please follow all event rules, signs and instructions to ensure a safe, comfortable, and enjoyable experience.
- Keep your behavior family-friendly.
- We encourage everyone to cosplay, but please make sure your cosplay complies with local laws and convention rules.
- Selfie Sticks are not allowed at Anime Central unless in photoshoot areas.
- Please follow all rules of the venue you are in.
- Play-fighting and/or rough-housing is not allowed. Still poses for photographs are allowed.
- Firearms and realistic firearm props are not permitted.
- Do not do anything that risks or threatens the safety or well-being of anyone at the convention.
- Anything that is illegal outside the convention is illegal inside the convention
- Don’t make us make a rule about you!
Anime Central does not condone illegal activities, including underage drinking and smoking, or the use of illegal substances. Attendees found breaking the law will be turned over to the local authorities and may have membership privileges revoked.
Staff may, at any time:
- Inspect your badge.
- Ask for valid government-issued identification.
- Ask to inspect the contents of bags, backpacks, purses, etc.
- Deny entrance to an event for safety reasons.
If a staff member, venue employee, or Rosemont police officer asks you to do something, please follow their requests.
MAPS memberships and passes, as well as additional membership options, are non-transferable and non-refundable; use of a MAPS membership badge or pass by any person other than the original holder is not allowed and will result in membership badge or pass confiscation. Membership badges and passes may not be duplicated in any fashion. The holder of a membership badge or pass shall agree to surrender the badge to any MAPS officer or representative on request. When you purchase a badge or pass for ACen, you purchase a membership for MAPS for the current convention year.
There will be no recompense if you are found with a counterfeit badge. If you purchase a badge from someone other than Anime Central, you will not have a valid membership to our event. Scalping badges only hurts our event. If you find people scalping badges, please report them to Registration immediately at registration@ACen.org.
All membership badge and pass names are subject to staff approval. We are a family friendly convention and names deemed inappropriate by staff will be changed.
Anime Central does not accept responsibility for any lost mail and/or payments. So please do not send cash through the mail.
MAPS reserves the right to use the membership holder’s image or likeness for any current or future promotional consideration.
If your check bounces, you will be charged a $25 fee before you may complete the payment of your MAPS membership.
Anime Central strive to provide a fun, safe, and friendly environment for all ages. That being said, we have a few rules regarding our younger fans.
- Children should have either a parental escort or a means of communicating with their parent (such as a cell phone) at all times.
- Anime Central is family-friendly, but we are not a child care service. Your kids are your responsibility.
- Children under 13 must have a parent or guardian with them at all times.
- In accordance with curfew laws, attendees who are 17 or under must be off hotel grounds by midnight, unless they are registered guests of the hotel or accompanied by a legal guardian.
- Parents/Guardians will be held responsible for the cost of any damage their children may cause.
- Please have your badge ready and visible for the event door checker when you get to the front of the line.
- Line jumping, saving spots, and saving seats are not permitted at these events.
- Individuals with event accessibility badges will be allowed access to event rooms before the rest of the line is let in, please make room for them to get to the front of the line.
- If you need to use the washroom or get a drink of water while in line, let the staff managing the line know before you go so that you will get your spot back when you return.
- If you leave an event room after an event has started there is no guarantee you will get back in if the room you have left has filled to capacity.
- If a room fills to capacity the line will be cut off. For some events the line may be capped if it gets too long.
- We ask that while standing in line attendees attempt to stand single file to keep hallways open for movement.
- Please leave restricted items, such as oversized bags and oversized costume props, in your car, hotel room, or at the Item Check.
- Item Check is available in both the Hyatt Regency O'Hare during the evening hours, and all day at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center.
- No bottles with any liquids will be allowed inside the Dances, there will be water stations inside the event rooms.
Order of Entry
For large events rooms attendees with event accessibility passes will be allowed entry into the room first provided general event access loading has not already begun. Individuals who have these passes should present themselves to the front of the line where the event team member monitoring the line is stationed up to 10 minutes before event start time. Please note early entry to any event room or event space is not guaranteed to any person, but we will do our best to allow it to individuals who qualify.
All 18+ events will require attendees to have an 18+ wristband prior to entry. Attendees who do not have this wristband will be denied access to these events. ID’s will not be checked at the door.* Those without wristbands will be turned away.
- Wristbands can only be issued to individuals who can present a valid state or federal ID proving date of birth.
- Wristbands that appear to be tampered with will also not be allowed entry.
- Wristbands must be affixed to a person's wrist either by an event team member or right in front of them.
- No wristbands will be permitted to leave a distribution station in an unaffixed state.
- Wristband will not be permitted to be looped through badges.
- All wristbands are waterproof, and you are welcome to get a new one if you damage your original one.
To receive an 18+ wristband attendees can visit the wristband booth located in the Registration Hall during open hours, any customer service location, or the wristband redemption booth located near the 2nd floor ballrooms.
*Attendees with a valid event accessibility pass can have their ID’s checked at the door if they cannot wear a wristband, this is the only exception, and it does not apply to the people they have accompanying them.
Bags will not be permitted into certain areas of the event.
- Item check is available throughout the event in the Donald E. Stephens Convention center, and during evening hours at the Hyatt Regency O’Hare.
- During the large dances and concerts in main events, bags will not be allowed at all. This is for the safety of everyone.
- The only exception to this will be a clutch/wristlet, with or without a handle or strap, that do not exceed 4.5" x 6.5" (approximately the size of a hand).
- For events that may allow you to bring bags with you, please note that they may be subject to searching.
These rules are for costumes and props throughout the convention. If you are not sure whether your costume or prop is acceptable, just ask any staff member!
- All props and cosplays must comply with local laws.
- Cosplays cannot leave your feet bare. Sandals are acceptable, being barefoot or using footpads is not acceptable.
- Body paint must be sealed, dry, and non-transferable. If you sit on any venue furniture and ruin it with body paint you will be responsible for all damage expenses.
- No roller-wear is allowed in convention areas including but not limited to heelys, hoverboards, and skateboards.
- Costumes or clothing that contain vulgar remarks, illustrations or hate speech in any language are not acceptable.
- For your safety, your costumes safety, and the safety of others please be conscious of your surroundings while in cosplay. If you are wearing an oversized costume or carrying a larger than you prop please be conscious of narrow hallways, doorways, and ceilings. If you break or damage venue grounds you will be responsible for the charges.
- Cosplay that has dangerous protrusions such as spikes or sharp edges is not allowed.
- If your costume has any visual impairments, you are required to have a handler. If you do not have a handler, you will be asked to remove your costume while traveling.
- If your cosplay Impedes the view of others during seated events, you may be relocated to the back of the event room.
- Props with laser pointers or similar capabilities are not allowed.
- Live Steel is not allowed within the convention.
- This extends to metal props or cosplay:
- that come to a point; whether sharp or blunt
- that have a blade like edge; whether sharp or blunt
- If a metal prop does not have points or blades it is acceptable.
- Live steel purchased from vendors must stay boxed while in convention spaces.
- This extends to metal props or cosplay:
- Realistic gun props are not allowed. This is for the safety of you and fellow attendees as local law enforcement can not easily identify if these are props or live weapons.
- This extends to:
- Real firearms; whether disabled or not
- Airsoft/Pellet guns; whether disabled or not
- Anything painted to look like a realistic firearm.
- Get inventive folks, but make sure your gun prop choices can’t be mistaken for a real firearm.
- This extends to:
- Non realistic gun-like props are required to have an orange tip and have their firing mechanisms disabled with no ammunition loaded.
- These props will need to be prop checked for acceptability.
- Bows and crossbow props may not carry any arrows, bolts, or be fireable in any way.
- Real firearms are not allowed on convention premises.
- If you are found with an unacceptable prop or costume, you will be asked to return to your room to fix the issue. In the event that you do not have a room, any staffer can direct you to the nearest merchandise location where you can purchase a shirt, or to the nearest item check location where you can pay to check your item.
- If you are repeatedly asked to return an unacceptable prop to your room, your prop may be confiscated by the event.
- Any item designed or created with the intent to cause injury or death to any person or property, as well as any item that is illegal in the state of Illinois and/or the city of Rosemont is not allowed.
- The manager on duty of IRT has the final say on the acceptability of any prop or costume.
- Don't make us make a rule about you.
A prop check station is available near the entrance to the Exhibition hall. You can also see any roaming IRT team member. Please understand that you may be asked several times throughout the course of the convention by staffers to check your weapon for this zip tie. We take all reasonable caution not to damage items, and hope that you understand that we need check these props for the safety of everyone.
- Prop check is not required for any items besides gun like props.
- Zip ties will be affixed to the prop item in question to visibly disable any firing mechanisms. You are welcome to do this yourself before the event.
- Photos and videos must be for personal use only.
- The only exception to this rule is Anime Central Official Photographers and pre-approved Press members.
- For the safety of all on stage Volunteers, Guests and Performers flash photography is not permitted.
- photography without flash is allowed provided the specific event you are attending allows photography
- Selfie sticks are not allowed.
- You may not charge a fee to others to view your photos and videos from the event.
- Photography, audio recording, and video recording are not permitted during concerts unless specifically stated. This may also apply to specific Guest of Honor events.
- Photographers are not permitted to set up photo booths without having a photographer license from our exhibition hall.
No smoking is allowed inside any building the convention resides in, this includes vaping. No smoking while in lines for ACen events. Smokers need to stand at least 15 ft from the line and/or doors if they need to smoke. The Hyatt sets up special smoking areas, please be advised that smokers will be asked to move into these. PUBLIC HEALTH (410 ILCS 82/) Smoke Free Illinois Act.
During peak hours, IRT will direct the use of the elevators in the Hyatt to ensure that the flow of traffic is as smooth as possible and to minimize any delays while waiting for elevators. When using elevators:
- Plan to get off on the Lobby Level, unless your mobility is impaired and you need to get off on the ground floor.
- The elevator is not board-able from the ground level unless you have an event accessibility pass, everyone else can navigate to the Lobby Level queue.
- Please press the elevator call button only once.
- Please hold the doors open using the Open Door button inside the elevator, rather than by holding the elevators open with your hands.
- Please keep all bags and arms inside the elevator and to yourself at all times and enjoy your ride.
If you are made to feel unwelcome, unsafe, or uncomfortable by someone’s behavior, that is harassment. Anime Central does not allow harassment of any kind, including but not limited to behaviors such as: stalking, offensive comments, hate speech, inappropriate or unwelcome physical contact, recording or taking pictures without permission, and repeatedly disrupting conversations you have been asked to leave. The aforementioned comments or hate speech could be in relation to (but not limited to): age, race or ethnicity, color, citizenship, relationship status, sexual orientation, gender identity or presentation, appearance or body size, pregnancy, disability, or religion.
Keep your hands to yourself. Respect your fellow attendees.
Keep an eye on what you say to people and how you act around them. Be cautious: ask first and respect a person’s right to say no. Remember, cosplay is not consent.
If you feel harassed or see someone else being harassed, notify a staff member immediately. Anime Central will take any action necessary to stop the behavior, up to and including badge revocation and expulsion from convention premises. We will also take steps to help you feel safe again, such as helping you contact Rosemont police, escorting you to a safe location, or contacting your friends or family for you. This policy applies to everyone at the convention, including attendees, panelists, vendors, guests, and staff.